1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks 2 in 1 recommendations and opinions on the Atom 8500

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SchizoFrog, 23 Apr 2016.

1. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Hi.

I am looking for a 2 in 1 tablet/laptop which will be used for general internet use as well as video playback via a 1080P TV.

In the last 2 weeks I have bought 2 ASUS Transformer Books, 1x 32GB and then 1x 64GB as they seemed a very good deal (£150 and £230 respectively) and I have always had good experience with ASUS previously.

However, the first had a broken key and the second wouldn't start up so I am now starting to believe the review comments that this product is faulty... a lot. (Both were bought online from PCWorld)

So my questions are:
    1) Should I try third time lucky?
    2) Can anyone recommend a viable alternative for under £300?

I don't feel my usage warrants paying the extra to get a Surface and the only alternative I have seen is the HP 2 in 1 that has the specs of the 32GB but the price of the 64GB and has it's own negative reviews.

Furthermore, the guy in PCWorld (I took it back to a store to get the refund) when off on a rant about how the Atom is useless and isn't good enough even for modern YouTube playback...
    Now I don't know too much about Atoms but can I ask what people here think of them? Is the guy talking nonsense or does he have a point?

Thanks for reading through this and helping out if you can.

James.

2. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

I've had the Asus t100 Transformer for nearly 2 years. It's worked pretty damn well for me and even better since the upgrade to Windows 10. Only annoyance is the charging cable becoming damaged as it's very particular about what it's charged by. You can fix this but it requires modifying the USB charging port or cable.

It plays HD content perfectly well, even managed to get it to play Eve online at semi decent FPS!

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Have a Linx 7 tablet myself that I scored for £40. I've been very impressed with it thus far. Not tried 1080p through a HDMI lead to an external HDTV but I've read it's capable of that output resolution. For the money it's worth reading up on the Linx tablets to see if a model is suitable for your needs.

4. SchizoFrog

Thanks for the comments.

@Isitari, you have the older model which by all accounts was very well made and so it seems that things changed with the newer models. It's good to hear about the video playback though. I did think it would be fine but after hearing comments and having little or no experience with Atoms I was wondering. In laptop terms, I would always step up to a Pentium rather than get a Celeron.

I saw the T100HA on Amazon for under £200 so I took the gamble that another seller and third time lucky may prove to be successful. We shall see... and I'll keep this up to date when it turns up.

I've linked this thread to the ASUS UK forum so we'll see what they have to say (if anything) should I have further problems.

5. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

Crikey, you'd think the newer models would be better!

Hope it works out well :).

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Had an Asus Vivotab 8 and ended up returning it, once for repair the second permanently. The vivotab had known issues with the ribbon cable for touch and for the digitiser. Asus used cables that where too long and due to being folded inside the tablet caused the screen to become unresponsive.
    In the end I picked up a Thinkpad tablet and it has been excellent (for the price I'm expecting nothing short of solid gold) the only down side is 64GB storage can be eaten very very quickly with apps and while you can install SD cards, not all programs play nice with it.

7. SchizoFrog

The thing is I definitely want a 2 in 1... So stand alone tabs are out.

On a side note, I just heard about Flubit.com who offer discounts on Amazon products and they offered the same item for £177. When I contacted Amazon to cancel my order they offered to price match... Fingers crossed I get no more problems.