1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Looking for a replacment UPS (SMT1500)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cookie! nom nom, 13 Jan 2017.

1. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Minimodder

At work we have had a SMT 1500 give up on us :waah: I have been tasked with finding a replacement but have no idea what I'm looking at and just getting confused. Is there anything similar to the SMT 1500 form a reliable brand at a lower price? We Don't use any of the fancy features such as network linking all we need it for is the basics need of keeping one dell OptiPlex and a monitor running for as long as possible.

I have been told to get similar spec for the lowest price possible but do I need the same for that need?

Thank you for the help guys :thumb:

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

If you don't need any fancy features, you're better off with a Back-UPS than a Smart-UPS.

A Back-UPS 1400VA will set you back barely over £100.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

one of these?

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Sorry for the thread hijack but do you know if the UPS you linked to would automatically shutdown a server (running WHS2011) plugged into it? Or would that be a piece of software kind of thing?

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

That's the very one. Available a bit cheaper though, Ebuyer @ £110 for instance.

USB connected to the system with a smidgen of software. There are options to either shut it down immediately upon power loss, after a delay, or keep it on as long as possible and shut it down gracefully just before the juice is gone.

Note that the software for the Back-UPS range only explicitly supports "home" versions of windows, however I've had it running on 2012R2 and now 2016 with no problems.