1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Laptop Replacement Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deathtaker27, 19 Jan 2017.

1. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice on a replacement laptop, currently have a HP 6360b which I love but the wireless is starting to break (intermittent, external wireless card didn't work , etc) so its time for me to replace it I think :)

Budget: ~£600
    I would prefer less but I can go a little higher if it is worth it

Size: 13"

Uses: Internet browsing, development (light) and the odd linux vm

I would prefer a lighter laptop tbh, been looking at: http://www.johnlewis.com/asus-zenbo...8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-13-3-quad-hd-black/p2511621 but I am not sure about the processor being strong enough? 8GB ram should be enough I hope, for more intensive workloads I can run off my desktop/servers

Advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,

DT

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

What's wrong with the Core M? It's an ultra-low power chip and has its place in the market. It's plenty fast enough for day-to-day tasks and boosts to high enough speeds to allow for plenty of things. My 0.8 GHz base clock boosts to 2.0 GHz, more than enough for any daily task and a bit of light development.

4. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

My current is only an i3 and I haven't seen it really pushed since I last ran 4 displays off the thing

@themaddutchdude what kind of Dev do you do on it, do you think it could handle a small vm and do you ever notice the processor limiting you? Sorry for all the questions

5. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

If you don't mind looking at the used market there is plenty of HP Pro and Elitebooks to be had on ebay for under £200.00.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Frankly I struggle daily using an i5-4210U to do my work. Outlook, a couple of Excel/PPT and a dozen Chrome windows kills it.

7. techniana

techniana What's a Dremel?

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the network card, my radius 12 (which would fit your requirements) started doing that, and actually so did my desktop with Intel wireless, this resolved both.

Dell Inspiron 5000 range might suite other wise, actually my Radius 12 would too, 4k screen is nice at that size but a bit of a battery hog and can be problematic with VMs which don't always scale well, 1080p worth considering at 13" if battery life is important, I can't get more than 7hrs out of mine on low brightness.

As for VMs depends what you use them for, I still run Linux VMs on a HP microserver with an AMD turion 1.6, so if usage is light a core M would be fine.