1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Use the internet to decide how to vote

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 4 May 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Good Post, Alex - I had to badger my wife into completing her postal vote this morning. She had seen the voterpower.org site, and decided that her vote meant so little that it wasn't worth bothering with.

I countered that she wouldn't be able to complain to me about anything related to anything the next government touches, and she relented.

Victory!

3. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I'm in the next safest Tory seat after Tunbridge Wells, so my vote is meaningless no matter what I do. But really, even if this was not so: the choice is an unpleasant, self-serving git in a blue tie, a nasty, narcissistic git in a red tie, or a rotten, egotistical git in an orange tie, all with an indelible attachment to doing whatever makes them popular, rich, and above all still-in-power, regardless of absolutely anything else.

So really, what's the point?

4. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

At least yours voted, mine didnt even bother to show up. Plus he wont respond to any online forms or emails unlike my other candidates.

5. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Nope, mine didn't vote either.

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Very nice article :thumb: tho 192 seems to be wrong, according to it im in the 25-29 age bracket yet im only 21 =p

I couldn't care if my candidate voted, either way we're under the thumb of the big parties over there anyway so it narrows down how the list of candidates worth voting for. Im voting for a party rather than an individual otherwise I would never vote!! Either way whoever gets in im sure to heckle, Im sure they;; need it just to turn up lazy good for nothing politicians. Bet Sinn fein will get in, they don't take their seats out of protest yet claim expenses F-ing disgrace if you ask me and something that should be stopped!

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Mine did, he voted for it :(

Not that fussed with the General Election, I'm more bothered with the Local Elections tbh.

8. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Good article. Great to see stuff fighting apathy.

9. bob

bob What's a Dremel?

The BBC website has tons of info too. Graphs of polls, seat calculator, useful stuff.

10. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I'm also in a very safe Tory area (Stratford-upon-Avon) and so feel robbed of my vote - there's no chance it'll actually count for anything, as the wealthy folk of shakespeareland have been voting conservative for the last 30 years without fail.

I'm still voting, of course, even though its pointless in my situation. I'd like to see some changes made to this system; where's the point in making my vote worthless by such an unbalanced representation system if it still doesn't help avoid a hung parliament.

Puh. <Stalks off angrily>.

11. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

I see your point (like you, I'm in a very safe seat, although it's Labour, not Tory), but the more people whose vote is "wasted" (ie goes to a non winning candidate), then I think the more of an issue electoral reform becomes.

12. devilxc

devilxc Biding my time...

"In Fylde, one person does not really have one vote, they have the equivalent of 0.047 votes."

Nice blog. Thanks for the links.

13. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Nice article.

Sadly I live in one of those areas where your vote counts for nothing... in 2005, 52% of all votes in my area were thrown away thanks to the 1st pass the post takes ALL the seats system.

Really is an utter joke... and they wonder why apathy is so high.

14. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I heard somewhere that labour could have the biggest party and still not have a majority/be in charge. Seems stupid in some ways

15. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

My local MP didn't vote on the DEB, I guess he was too busy leading the party.

16. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

They can also come 3rd in the number of votes and still get the most parliament seats. Isn't our voting system wonderful :duh:

About the DEB thing. Our MP was just brilliant on that. She voted for the bill and then announced she'd not be standing as a candidate for the election just after.
    Vote for entertainment industry then run away, nice :rolleyes:

17. EvilRusk

EvilRusk What's a Dremel?

Wait, there's an election? Can we vote for James Bond now he doesn't have a job?

Our local MP voted NO on the DEB, which is a nice surprise.

The BBC seat calculator is depressing as 30% of the vote and it's a Labour Government but the other main parties need 40% to win. Add in the inevitable postal voting fraud and this is starting to look like Zimbabwe.

Can't even see any independents that look worth bothering with either. Heck I'd vote for Darth Vader.

18. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

Whichever party gets elected is able to dig in and make it tougher for the next mob to shift them, Labour have had thirteen years to shift boundaries around so naturally they will be hard to shift. If the Tories win then mysteriously by the time the next election comes we'll probably find all sorts of new rural seats popping up. It's all in the game.

That said the Lib Dems do have a great big bee in their bonnet about electoral reform, and since they look likely to be in a position to decide what's what in a hung parliament maybe things will change.

19. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

"Was t'internet wot won it".....

20. south side sammy

south side sammy What's a Dremel?

I'm an American and probably should not impose my thoughts but, over the past 2 or 3 weeks I was able to get a few half hours on and off listening to these candidates opine on various issues. I can't tell you who to vote for but I will say that Gordon Brown sounds exactly like an American politician.......... make up your own conclusions on that.......

Tags: Add Tags