1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Water Cooling Design

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ddemon, 10 Jan 2013.

1. Ddemon

Ddemon What's a Dremel?

Hi all, been planning this loop for a few years now, bought most of the stuff then ran out of money. Anyway trying to get it finished now, iv done a design on sketchup approximately where everything will go (im not the best) and wanted your opinions. Note that the NB SB and pwms will be in one of the loops.

Originally i had 2 graphics cards thats why there are 2 loops, so i thought i would keep them for when i get another 570.

Anyway, my plan is to build a small enclosure out of plexiglass ( already bought it ) iv got 4 500x500mm sheets 8mm, but the problem im having is if it will support the rest of the computer?

Iv thought about putting the enclosure on top but then im unsure if the pumps will work effectively being above the waterblocks?

Hardware :
    XFX 790i Ultra
    Q9550 @ 3.8
    Gainward GTX570 Phantom

[​IMG]

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I think it would support the whole case no. you'd probably have to put in a support frame.

3. Ddemon

Ddemon What's a Dremel?

Im trying to think of ways to support it. One idea is angle iron on the inside or outside and tap/bolt the plexi to it.

Does anyone have any better ideas?

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Build a box out of 6mm HDF (high density fibreboard). Way easier to work with, if you don't have any special tools, and it's dirt cheap aswell. You can buy 1m² of 6mm HDF for some €20.

5. Ddemon

Ddemon What's a Dremel?

I already have the plexiglass, just need to think of a way to strengthen it.

6. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

put some ribs against the plexi then? 8 mm plexi is not that weak, and if its strengthened by plexi 90 degrees on the walls, it'll be that much stronger.

top side view:

|- RADIATOR -|
    |- PUMPS -|
    |- RADIATOR -|

with the minus sign glued against the wall, so to reinforce it. effectively making the plexi much thicker.

Edit: this is not clear, isn't it?

7. Ddemon

Ddemon What's a Dremel?

What do you mean? Bend some plexi into 90' and fix it to the case on the joints?

8. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

Ok, I made a quick-quick sketchup of what i meant. This way, the side is much stronger than without the ribs. And with some imagination, the ribs could be built in in the design. (to hold your radiators etc)

[​IMG]

9. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I thought you were only going to build the reservoirs out of the plexi.

Anyways, 8mm plexi doesn't need any reinforcement. The material is strong enough to carry the weight of the case ontop, if you build a box out of it. You just need to make sure that the joints are strong enough, and I would recommend using brass-inserts and screws to join the panels, as I'm not too confident with glue.

10. Ddemon

Ddemon What's a Dremel?

I see what you mean now.

Good idea, but i cannot see how i could implement it and still have the radiators mounted where they are.

I could use the idea and make a U shape and have the hoses running up them;
    Top View
    l_____________________l

Another problem im having is how to mount the reservoirs. Id like to use the threaded holes in the sides, the only way i can think is drill a hole in the side and have a long bolt. Ill need to take it out to put water in. My plan was to cut a hole in the back panel and put a fan grill there or something.

Thanks for help btw.

11. Ddemon

Ddemon What's a Dremel?

No, need to build the whole bottom box. Oh, brilliant, saves a lot of work for me.

Iv been told by my friend that the glue is the business as his friends make fish tanks using it and such. Can anyone else vouch? Id prefer using the inserts to be honest as it allows me to take a panel off if needed.

12. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Back to your pump question. It doesn't matter where it is in relation to the GPUs. More importantly is it is below the reservoir. Reason being that it will be a bugger to primer the system and you also run the risk of the pump running dry.

Tags: