1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Easy Cooling solutions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DLDeadbolt, 13 Aug 2014.

1. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

HEy folks.

Been having a bit of a problem recently where some games are causing my GFX card (2 x GTX 670's, only the main ever heats, other barely moves or is affected by heat eminating from the main) to heat up quite a bit (Idle temps ~35*, average gaming temps at ~60*, some games pushing it to 80*)

Any tips to try keep the temps down?
    The PC is air cooled, with the side panel off (Case is Silverstone PS02)

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Sounds quite normal for SLIed cards, especially if they're sandwiched together rather than having a slot or two of space between them. Check for any dust build-up too. To be fair, 80 degrees isn't too hot for a GPU anyway.

What doesn't sound normal is only your main card is getting warm, it sounds like games are either only taking advantage of one card or SLI is disabled or not working.

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

As above. Your SLI isn't working properly if only one card is warming up. Your average temps at 60c would mean (to me) that only the top card is working, so no SLI, and when it hits 80, both are. It depends if the games you're playing support multiple GPUs. If not, the second in SLI obviously won't be tasked to work.

80c is fine. If you're worried, just download MSI AfterBurner and up the fan speeds manually.

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I have a single gtx670 and those are pretty close to what is normal for me too. 28-30idle, 50-60 normal load, with it topping out close to 80 on long periods of full load. So I agree, if both cards aren't getting around that then SLI isn't working as they should both have the same load more or less and therefore same heat within a few degrees.