1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Raijintek Morpheus GPU Cooler Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 7 May 2014.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Does anyone else have reservations about hanging over 800g (cooler + fans) off a PCB using just 4 screws? The poor PCB would start sagging / bending almost straight away wouldn't they? Or do stock coolers weigh about that much?

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I would just buy a GPU with a better cooler from the outset...

It's hardly a surprise that this performs well but for Science's sake it's a monstrosity!

I also feel like this would be a big ask of my Node 304 :lol:

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Would be interesting to know if the Morpheus could be used to passively cool lower end GPU's using just the limited air flow from a HTPC's exhaust, or intake fans.

Personally I'm skeptical that the VRM and RAM heatsinks would remain attached. When i used similar heatsinks from an Accelero Xtreme some fell of after a few weeks due to the heat and gravity.

I don't understand why GPU's still have all the components on the underside, wouldn't it be better to have them on the top, what with heat rising and not having coolers like the Morpheus having to fight gravity.

5. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

+1

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Also, the cooler and a pair of SPs isn't going to give you much change from £70.

Antony, is the value score weighted to reflect the fact that this will need two fans adding to it, if anyone wants to get close to the review performance? Nevermind the fact that it will crowd out the majority of your mobo slots on a standard board, and probably all of them on a mATX board.

The policy of adding fans to a cooler that ships without them (for the purpose of the review) seems to fly in the face of the policy of not adding fans to cases, don't you think? I know it's a little more complicated than that, given the fact that most cases don't ship with all mounts populated, but I'm sure you get my point.

7. trintragular

trintragular What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the review.

This reminds me of a bigger Thermalright HR03 and, just like Corky42, I'd be interested as to whether it could operate passively when used with basic GPUs.

8. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I know exactly what you mean! Thankfully the thermal adhesive pads on this one are much stronger and I didn't have any issues with them falling off.

9. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Yep - pretty much that with the value score. As you mentioned, with this cooler it's a bit more complicated as you pretty much can't use it without fans. However, with a case you can (admittedly it won't do well at all but it won't kill your hardware like a fanless Morpheus and an R9 290 probably would!). Also, if a case doesn't include any fans, like the In Win 904, we do throw one or two in as a comparison but again we're talking about an isolated cooler here as opposed to a whole raft of cases and a much bigger can of worms :D

10. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Very concerned. I think I'd have to rig a leg to brace it against the bottom of the case before I could sleep after installing it.

Really, we need to get GPU modules that mount straight to the motherboard so we can mount monster heatsinks without concern like we do on our (much cooler) CPUs.
    Failing that... attach a kickstand to support the free end.

11. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Some GPU waterblocks weigh nearly a kilo. I've got 3 in my system at 900g each.

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Most GPU blocks are secured right across the card though - that looks like a hefty lump to hang off four piddly little screws around the GPU.

13. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

it may be big and slightly ugly but i like it.

14. dstarr3

dstarr3 What's a Dremel?

I've seen a video somewhere on YouTube of a guy who modded a Hyper 212 to fit a graphics card. Looked absurd, but damn, it kept the card cool.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Gpu blocks are a lot more expensive than this even with 2 fans they are also about the same in weight for the good ones. Looks like a ok middle ground in truth.

16. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

You'd bloody hope it performed better after slapping £80 worth of water block on it!

17. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

My Titans don't perform any better with blocks installed, they're simply cooler (which is meaningless really) and quieter (wouldn't class this as performance). Overclocking yielded exactly the same clocks under water and on air, thermals weren't the problem it seems.

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Possible? most likely yes, but just like with passively cooled psu's you would probably have to ramp up the case fans like silly resulting in more noise than if you add a undervolted 12cm fan to the cooler.

19. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

When I had a Thermalright HR-03GT on my old 8800GT, I had the card supported at the far end (opposite to outputs) with tip zies onto the case to stop it drooping. And that was about half the size of this monster, :D

Tags: Add Tags