1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Monitor went black while watching video

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by PegasusM, 3 Sep 2012.

1. PegasusM

PegasusM Stand back, I'm doing science

Hi,

While watching a video on my pc, my main display went black, I exited the video and restarted and the screen is still black. The monitor is on and it looks like the backlight or something is on making the screen slightly grey and Windows 7 is still recognising the display but I can't see anything on it. If I turn it on without connecting it to the PC it will display "Check Signal cable" like normal, which I wouldn't expect if the screen was broken?

The monitor is a LG Flatron W2452TX 24" which I bought from Scan nearly 3 years ago. It was
    connected with the DVI input but I've tried the VGA one which won't work either. On the VGA input with another monitor connected, Windows 7 will detect it (although it doesn't know what monitor it is) but won't let me use it, any option on the screen resolution screen that uses it says "Unable to save display settings" when I try to apply the option.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Is this likely to be a hardware fault? Could a driver update work? If this is a hardware fault will Scan repair/replace it?

Thanks in advance.

---Edit
    After leaving it unplugged for an hour I've reconnected it and It's working again. Maybe there was a loose connection somewhere or maybe it was overheating?
    If it happens again I'll update the thread.

Last edited: 3 Sep 2012