1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 128 bit vs 256 bit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trig, 28 Aug 2015.

1. trig

trig god's little mistake

ive been debating on which card to get...cant really justify a gtx 970 for the games and res i play at, especially when all the eye candy turned on is not a big deal...my eyesight isnt good enough to see it all :lol:. from most reviews on the games and res i planned on playing/using, the gtx 960 in the 4GB flavor could handle them with a decent amount of eye candy.

however, i really dont like the fact that going below the 970 you lose the beefier interface. so my thoughts are to go with this evga, nice card with a back plate. I ended up landing this lg monitor, with a slightly higher res than first intended for $250. I figure if there are too many issues with GTA V, I could use the step up program to grab a gtx 970 or ideally nvidia comes out with a gtx 960 ti or something with the 256 bit interface. but as i mentioned most reviews ive seen the card does well enough at that res, and the extra vram is helpful. i also get MGS V with the card, so it's like buying it for $160 or so with the $20 rebate card, which is a hell of a deal...should buy 2 ;). additionally I plan on grabbing the new rainbow six game when that comes out. other than that, i play a little l4d 2 and dota 2 with some friends for craps and laughs.

do you chaps think this is a waste of time? heard anything about a 960 ti in the very near future? or perhaps heard that rainbow six seige is going to be a gpu killer? so far, ubisoft's website says the requirements for alpha testing were a gtx 670 with 2GB vram, and they stated the requirements should go down as the game is further optimized.

edit:
    wouldnt think the gtx 670 would be too much more powerful than a 960, but apparently it is. i could always go on ebay and grab 2 for the cost of this gtx 960 lol

Last edited: 28 Aug 2015
  2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Do not get anything below a GTX 970 for that resolution. You'll regret it.

3. trig

thanks for the response. i posted something similar a week or so ago...but basically, to give you an idea why i consider it an option is due to some budget constraints..not that i cant swing it, but have a hard time spending $300+ for a gpu. and if i did spend that kinda jack, id probably have to make a few concessions on the rest of the build...which may not be an issue, but hard to tell until intel comes out with the lower-end skylake chips...and with these reviews running GTA V at solid detail and frame rates with the gtx 960 4gb, it gets to be pretty attractive. i dont play most fps games like bf4 and cod, mostly because i just dont have the skills to be competitive in a game to invest $60 in it, plus i get severe motion sickness playing them lol

evga has a gtx 770 b stock for like $175-$185 delivered. but no free game lol...

4. TheMadDutchDude

Don't worry about spending over $300 on a GPU. Those GPUs cost $400+ here, so count yourself lucky. ;)

One word of advice which I always follow is that when you buy cheap, you buy twice. Buy the right part for the job the first time and enjoy it. :)

5. trig

lol, i do appreciate the pricing over here for sure...most likely what will happen is i will wait for 6400 skylake chips ( i read sometime between 8-30 and 9-5) and make a decision on that, then figure out the rest of my rig. if the MGS V promo ends before that, the r9 380 4 GB comes into the discussion i would think.

6. TheMadDutchDude

You have absolutely zero reason to change from Haswell to Skylake. Don't waste your money. Buy a decent GPU instead.

7. trig

yeah, i know my rig is fine..its going to my 13 year old...but i am toying with the idea of grabbing him a 4590 from microcenter, a micro atx asus mobo for $90, and 2x4 gb ram for $40...save me about $90-100 if the skylake 6400 is around $180...decisions decisions...