1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Monolith

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by thebornotaku, 17 Feb 2014.

1. thebornotaku

thebornotaku What's a Dremel?

Hello and welcome to my build thread for what is going to be my new "everyday" computer, titled "Monolith".

I'm currently running a CM Stacker 830 and inside the case is an Intel Core i5-3570K with an Arctic Freezer i30, an eVGA GTX 550Ti with an Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo II, three SATA HDDs, 8GB of G.Skill RAM, and a CM RealPower 850W PSU.

All the hardware is likely to stay the same except for the PSU, which I've opted to upgrade and bought myself a Corsair RM750 fully modular PSU.

The plan for the computer is to continue the black/white theme of the case as-is. It comes shipped with three fans with white blades, and the HD brackets are white, so I figured that was a good start. So far I've cut a side panel out using the FrozenCPU kit with white trim and installed the PSU. I'm also going to be adding a number of other things but the one I'm most excited about is a full RGB multicolor LED strip w/controller and remote, allowing me to change the color of the computer to suit whatever my mood may be. :rock:

Anywho, that's enough of an introduction. On to the pics.

[​IMG]
    Here's a stock image of the case that I'm starting with. It is a Fractal Design Define XL R2, black on black like here in the picture.

[​IMG]
    First things first was to get the side panel taped off and scrape off all the heavy tar-paper sound deadening that was on the inside of the side panel.

[​IMG]
    After that, my shipment of these 3 Fractal Silent R2 fans showed up. These will be used to fill the unoccupied fan slots in the computer, maxing it out at 6 fans since the fan hole on the sidepanel is going bye-bye.

[​IMG]
    I then decided to do a little sketchup of a finned top vent cover thing to help the aesthetics. I'm still in the air about it. If I do build it, it will likely be styrene plastic and held to the case with magnets so it's easy to remove should I need to.

[​IMG]
    Next shipment in was the Corsair PSU. I specifically chose the RM series for it's quiet operation and after doing my homework I was glad to know that I got an "updated" model. Older models had an issue where the cooling fan wouldn't come on at all unless it hit 40% load, regardless of temps, and would shutdown to prevent damage from overheating. Later ones have another transistor fitted which also watches temperatures independently of load and can trigger the fan that way.

My only complaint about this PSU is that the supplied cables suck, but I will be remedying that anyways, so whatever.

[​IMG]
    And here it is inside the case. The finishes of the PSU and case match almost perfectly, and it looks so "at home" in there. Only gripe is the yellow... but I'm working on drawing up a solution for that.

[​IMG]
    Next thing in the mod calendar (and next shipment I received) was the side panel window. So off to the garage we go, with my makeshift workbench.

[​IMG]
    The way the FrozenCPU kit works is that it's the big plexi window, and a thin trim piece. Both have holes pre-drilled in them. I lined up the window making sure the edges were even distances and straight, then marked the holes and drilled.

Once you do that, you lay down the trim ring and mark out the inside of it. Then cut *outside* those lines, but only just. You'll see why in a little bit.

[​IMG]
    The corners of the FrozenCPU window are rounded but thanks to that "trim" that I was talking about, I could straight-cut the corners. My cuts were also messy as hell but again, you'll see why that doesn't matter.

[​IMG]
    Most of the way through, you can see how close to the edges it is and how big this window will be. Also, how bad my cuts are.

[​IMG]
    Freed from it's bonds.

It was at this point that my back started to hurt so I stopped taking pictures but there isn't much more to the actual process. File, drill the holes out a little bigger, whatever.

Then, remove the tape and mount the window...

[​IMG]
    and voila.

[​IMG]
    This window kit is a fantastic compliment to the Fractal case and like I said, the trim helps keep everything looking nice and clean even though I can't cut straight worth a damn.

Next shipment that's going to come in on the dockett is the LED strip, which I intend to run around the whole outer diameter just behind the side panel, and then loop around in to the front panel so the light shines out of the grates on the sides there too.

Oh and I picked up a big sheet of plexi for some other ideas I'm kicking around. Don't wanna give too much away though, so you'll just have to stay tuned. :thumb:

Thanks for reading, and happy modding! :dremel:

2. thebornotaku

Got my LED strip in...

Last edited: 20 Feb 2014
  3. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

The FrozenCPU window looks great.

4. thebornotaku

I agree. I was looking at prices for plexiglass locally and the FrozenCPU kit is about $20 more expensive than a sheet of plexi... but it looks fantastic, and comes with hardware. And it's already perfectly sized for this side panel. And it has nice rounded edges. And, and, and.

Plus it'll be nice to get a change from the all-mesh sidepanel of the CM and actually be able to see my components.

5. thebornotaku

So there's that, and this:

http://imgur.com/a/rFPlb

(which is an image gallery of some of the different colors).

Today I stripped out the motherboard, removed the drive bays, all the front panel wiring, PSU, basically anything that might be in the way, and mounted the LED strips. I got the ones that will sit behind the mobo and the ones behind the front panel as well, but I need some 4-wire ribbon cable and probably an hour or two with the soldering iron to get them all wired up nice and proper.

Also the adhesive that came with the LEDs kinda sucks, so I'm going to look in to different double-sided tape, likely that really awesome 3M all-weather outdoor rated stuff, which I've used to stick badges back on to my car and have held for 4+ years of rain, dirt, sun, and wind. So I think they should hold some LED strips inside a computer just fine.