1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Win8 Key not working

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cookie Monster, 27 May 2014.

1. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

My product key isn't working when trying to do a fresh install of Windows 8.

I tried several times making sure I have the correct letters, my missus then also checked. She read the key from the CD wallet as I read the PC screen and it matched. So I'm 100% it's right, I even took a pic with my phone zoomed in so we could make it out.

I then called Microsoft and they say that because my copy of Windows is OEM and has been installed 7 times it is now invalid. Due to it probably being a license which is used by several customers of the store I bought my PC from.

When I argued that I built the PC for parts all bought from Scan and I have the CD wallet in front of me with the code on and that I have had it from new he still argued the case that I need to call the system builders.

The fool couldn't even enter the product key into his system, he was confused when it didn't work, he'd missed out 3 characters.

TL;DR, does an OEM product key have a number of install's limit? What are my choices other than buying another copy of Windows 8? (I'd rather not pirate, but who knows, I don't see why I should buy it again)

2. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I don't know, I've never done it, but I though that the Co key was in some way tied to the UEFI? I thought it was in dell machines anyway. I would be surprised if the one, install didn't work, just out of curiosity, have you rebuilt your machine 7 times?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

OK. The problem is that you miss identified your Windows license.
    Your license is NOT OEM. OEM is licenses from Dell, HP, Acer and so on. In this case you don't have a product key, and it is in the UEFI.

What you have is System Builder license, which retail stores incorrectly calls "OEM", because that is what the consumer is seeking.

System builder you can re-install a certain amount of time per a certain amount of time (not provided by Microsoft). It is estimated 3 month, but that was with Win7, not 8. They could have changed.

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Curiously you've not updated to 8.1 have you?

5. Cookie Monster

I may have rebuilt it that many times, I've never kept a count.

I had upgraded to 8.1 when the download was first made available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

UEFI stuff aside. Remember, as stupid as it is, Windows 8 keys won't work on a Windows 8.1 install...

7. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Yes "OEM/System Builder" keys you buy from Scan have a limited number of uses. Back in XP it used to be 10.
    And in Windows 8 even less as it will only activate on the same hardware.

Really you shouldn't be buying them unless you are then selling the system onto a consumer but hey ho :)

A OEM key from Dell/HP has unlimited uses so you can re-install away to your hearts content.
    It will only work however for that system, if your going from a Win installation disk that is not from Dell it won't take the key.

8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

So what does the consumer do with the PC after a set number of reinstalls? They will be in the same situation surely?

Think the best way is to always try and get a retail for the slight premium.

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

^+1. This is what I was getting at, if you've already upgraded that new install to 8.1, the W8 key will not work.

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Oh I completely agree :)

Last edited by a moderator: 28 May 2014
  11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I thought the first couple of posts were checked by mods before being approved?

12. Shirty

What's not legit about this one? I thought it was a very insightful and well thought out first attempt.

(reported btw)

13. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

They are... Not sure how this got through - I'll look into it in case there's a bug (just got back from a long weekend in Paris)

14. Shirty

Oh George, I went to all of the trouble of removing the links in my quote of his message (for posterity) and you deleted it :waah:

15. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Lol - I did notice that. Unlearned as I am in Chinese or whatever that was I was worried that it said something terrible uncouth and decided that deleting it was the best course of action :p

16. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I thought it looked like japanese, but who knows. Can't believe you deleted it, he was talking about friendship. He was just ronery..... so ronery.....

17. Shirty

Just to sate your curiosity it said:

Which roughly translates as:

There were quite few links buried in there too :hehe:

I think the only questionable phrase in the translation was "Lolita Fashion", but the rest of the post was so high-brow that I can only assume it was a direct reference to the literary work by Vladimir Nabokov.

Back on topic, I can't answer the issue in the OP directly, but Microsoft have definitely been far more strict with Windows 8 & 8.1 installations, both retail and other licenses are closely monitored for unusual numbers of activations. How lenient they will be I guess depends on the chump you get through to when you call them, because ultimately it's a few mouse clicks for them to enable further activations.

I haven't fallen foul yet, although I have definitely used up internet activations with Retail copies of 7 before. Telephone activations always worked though - I assume this is no longer an option these days?

kenco_uk likes this.
  18. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Not directly, no.

19. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Indeed - Creating/editing ei.cfg is where the party's at.

20. Cookie Monster

So after a call last night where the person I had on the other end of the phone was a penis, calling just now and being cut off, calling again and it sounding like there was a train on the other end, then calling again I have an answer.

Windows has a 90 day warranty period, outside of this period any support is bought at the cost of $99.

Due to the software being installed 7 times it is now invalid and they are not prepared to help, it's an expensive lesson, but buy retail versions kids.

To answer other posts, yes I upgraded to 8.1 when it was free, but only having a Windows 8 disc, a clean install means wiping the drive, installing Windows using the product key, then upgrading to 8.1 after (like installing a service pack).

Also I thought I had loads of help with there being 18 posts, only to see its spam related. :(