1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel teams up with Samsung, Toshiba

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Nov 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Companies looking into different area's to advance computing - Always a good thing!

11nm.... jeez, I remember thinking "wow 65nm... that's tiny!"

3. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I was thinking the same when I bought my 90nm Athlon 64. Sooooo much smaller than the sweaty old 130 nm ;)
    While 11nm is an obvious boost for CPU power efficiency and laptop battery life, I'm more interested how shrinking manufacturing proceses will affect SSD capacities and prices.

4. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Minimodder

£77.5 million isn't even that much compared to the amount these companies regularly put into R&D.

5. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

It's down the back of the sofa pizza change to Intel.

6. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

This.

It's good that they're looking to improve the technology, but as mentioned towards the end of the article they really need to be looking into new materials and such other than silicon. We're very close to the limit of what's economically feasible, so a breakthrough in something like optical or maybe graphene would be much more welcome. I imagine Intel's funding towards that sort of research is much greater.

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Intel been looking pretty closely at photonic computing as well? The article seems to imply that IBM is the only one considering the option. Just seems logical that they would be, what with LightPeak and all.

8. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Wow, Samsung puts it around don't they?
    I only just read a few months ago that they were "collaborating" with IBM and Global Foundries on their Common Platform initiative at 32/28nm, and now they're teaming up with Intel at 11nm. I wonder how IBM and GloFlo feels about Samsung's R&D department flirting outside of the relationship? Or Intel, for that matter.

Given that all three partners involved here are major NAND manufacturers, I would say that the research will have this application in mind rather than CPU/GPU.

Tags: Add Tags