1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft slashes Windows 10 rollback period

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Aug 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Although it's nice of them to be concerned about users storage space i feel it's a little belated, it seems storage space was of little concern for the past year when they downloaded 5+GB of setup files to peoples devices.

3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Yea windows on my tablet has been moaning at me about cleaning up those old windows files. Personally I'd rather it let me decide when I want to remove them, or if I'd rather move them somewhere else to store.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

My move to 10 went exactly as they said.
    Update - check for a few days, then I removed the backups and freed ~8GB (which is a lot on a 27GB device)

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Another day, another reason to hate Win10.

6. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

Really no reason to hate it once you stop all the telemetry stuff with https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Doesn't even need to be installed.

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I've read of many reasons but my own personal one would be the rolling up of all updates into a single file that's then forced on customers, if you happen to dislike a new feature or change tough luck, or worse if an update causes problems.

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I'd rather leave the telemetry on, and actually have bugs be fixed!
    If I wanted to do something I really needed absolute privacy on, then I would start with dumping any variety of Windows and go for either a Linux distro with strict SELinux, or something more obscure like BSD. In a VM. Reset after each session. With randomised useragent strings. If you want ACTUAL privacy and security, then fiddling with Windows settings is as much a half-measure as trying to hide your address by putting a wheelie-bin in front of your house number.

9. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

I'm sure they will have existing bugs fixed in a couple more years of you beta-testing their product for free (or actually paying them to be able to do so).

And many more new bugs added along the way, of course ...

10. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

Good news, for a change.
    I installed Win 10 yesterday!
    I stayed up and tried to find whatever I needed to use this OS, woke up still in my computer chair and kept on working with it.
    Today, I finally found the roll back to Win 7 app.
    I now know for a fact that Win 10 totally sucks.
    Microsoft, I don't need to say which orifice you need to remove your heads from.
    Just make OS' for each type of computer (desktop, laptop, phone) and everything will be hunky-dory again.

11. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Not a problem here as I've two different ways to get back to 7 if I wanted and I'll put not having to pay a hundred quid or so above the fastest possible system this time.

kzinti1 - thought MS had got out of phones but I get what you mean, trying to put XB Live's interface into 8 was a bad idea when they normally copy Office rather than any other type of UI.

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I find it sort of comical that some people hate every successive version of Windows on release, for the various changes, compromises and shortcomings, but continue to upgrade anyway, albeit a couple of versions behind the latest one. These people never pick a version of Windows and definitively describe it as a good product, and when Windows 12 is out they'll probably be stubbornly on Windows 10 and moaning about the rubbish changes in Windows 12, but they'll still use Windows computers their entire lives.

If you really just don't like Microsoft's way of doing things, just use an alternative operating system. You're big boys, you can make your own decisions. But don't sit on the same train your whole life, bitching and moaning about how bumpy the ride is, you look ridiculous.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

There isn't going to be a Windows 12, haven't you heard Windows 10 is going to be the last version of Windows, it's SaaS all the way now.

Also, arguably, every successive version of Windows since XP has been worse, although maybe that's a discussion for another thread. :p

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's a funny way of spelling "Windows 98 SE."

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Imagine the average consumer trying to get a home network up and running with todays number of electronic junk in the average household while using Windows 98 SE:D

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm funny that way. ;) :D

I know it doesn't matter but now you've given me an itch i need it scratching, why 98 SE?

17. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

I'll take Windows 2000 over Win98 SE any day :)

18. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Also some declaring with a fanfare they'll put Linux on there after the end of support of Windows version X. Nothing wrong with Linux itself but I always wonder if they ever carry out their intention or go back to Windows again.

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Considering how Microsoft always keeps extending support for ancient Windows versions they don't usually have any reason to follow through with their threat (regardless of it probably having been an empty threat to start with).

20. Gareth Halfacree

Because it was ace. Nice UI, proper working USB implementation, DirectX, still had MS-DOS in the background so all your old programs worked fine, and there was even a Unicode layer for it. XP, on the other hand, felt like Fisher Price had been consulting on the design. It was OK when you slapped it into Classic mode, but when Vista came along I dumped my last full-time Windows machine and switched fully to Linux (which ties in nicely with posts downthread.)

I do, however, have a Windows 95 virtual machine with the Plus Pack installed. I mostly use it to play Diablo, and occasionally browse the web with Internet Explorer 3.0 (which results in an amusing number of JavaScript errors.)