1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony Pictures hacked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Jun 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I guess now it's fashion among the hackers to hit sony's arse...

3. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

why did this post vanish from the front page?

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

...it didn't?

5. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

oh no sorry, my bad, it just got moved from the news section to the main articles section. my apologies.

6. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Heard about this on the news this morning. It's amazing that a company of this size hasn't taken simple steps to secure users data. Reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Bart gets electrocuted every time he touches a certain cupcake. Will they ever learn?

7. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Who else wants to sign up to the 2011 Sonympics?

8. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome What's a Dremel?

They asked for it, ey? Do you rape a girl just because she dresses slutty?
    In my opinion this is beginning to become stupid. The hackers don't give Sony a chance to improve before they strike them again. How are you supposed to get up if you keep getting kicked down?

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

So we should give the massive tech company, with limitless resources, the benefit of the doubt for failing to adequately protect it's customers' details? Really?

I'm no fan of these large hacking groups, but they have at least highlighted just how lax and irresponsible Sony have been.

10. west

west What's a Dremel?

They did ask for it.
    As a costumer you expect that your private information will be at least encrypted.
    There is an expectation of some kind of protection.
    Without at least that how could you confidently give any financial or even personal information to companies?
    Data privacy is a part of there service and they are ripping you off if they can't even manage that (in my opinion).
    For a company this size there is no excuse.
    Just be glad that Sony was not hacked by truly malicious people who might have done much worse with that or other information.

11. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

They probably don't have a good idea of how much is out there and what is exposed.

As they dodn't seem to have had a security stratergy there are probably hundreds of these random small sites set up by some guy in marketing that aren't maintained properly.

12. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Maybe by doing a proper security review after the first time they got hacked and keeping "at risk" or poorly secured systems off line until until they can be secured.
    Given the recent spate of attacks on Sony, keeping passwords in plain text was just looking for trouble, switch it off if you cant keep it secure.

13. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

Yeah, really. Will these kids just go away already. All their statements reek of flimsy rationalization to me. It's one thing to be a complete dick, and another to act all high and mighty about doing so. Infuriating.

This really is cyber terrorism, folks. Fear and intimidation used to coerce (companies, in this case) into their agenda. A vigilante group making all sorts of broad political demands and choosing to wreak havoc and destruction in ostensible support of those ends. We're even seeing the classic "fight them" vs. "appeasement" debate played out over the internet.

To me, it doesn't matter if you think Sony is evil. Just like it doesn't matter if you think Western society is decadent and our Middle East policy is screwed up. There are acceptable means of protest and then there's terrorism. And just because in this case they're not physically harming anyone doesn't mean it's okay.

14. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

As someone that doesn't own/care about any Sony products, this whole saga amuses me.

15. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Did they not learn from the first time to encrypt the users data?

16. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

I don't think anyone is saying Sony has had ideal, or even acceptable security. These people though are actually trying to make the argument that if the vault doors weren't sturdy enough it's perfectly okay to stroll in and steal what you want. I reject that.

17. von_stylon

von_stylon uber micro

Get it right first time?

18. west

west What's a Dremel?

The fact that the act of hacking or stealing is immoral does not negate the responsibility of these companies to protect this data.
    Just because the rain storm was not your fault or intention does not negate the need to shut your windows.
    There will always be hackers and people who would do immoral things. To ignore this and to justify a lack of security in this way is just foolish.

19. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Your crude analogy is rather misleading, of course you should avoid criminal activity of any kind, however once you are aware of an issue then why not take steps to mitigate just in case? The hack is criminal, yes, however the mentality of the criminal is to go for the easy take down, you must conclude the reason Sony is being reported as being breached again is because compared to others it is possible.

Over a month ago it became clear, Sony does not encrypt sensitive data and has particularly weak network security on at least one of its networks. This failure should act as a stimulus to secure any other system that behavess like this immediately, Sony should take action but it will send shockwaves through the industry, everyone will be scrutinising their security. Scroll to today, a security breach has occured at Sony with entirely the same hallmarks, the passwords are unecrypted and out in the open, why wasn't this changed? The mind boggles.

20. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Tbh, it's been over a month since the first attack. Though they are trying to make the Playstation network secure, they obviously didn't take into account other sections of the company would also be at risk. it doesn't take long for a good programmer to encrypt passwords. Doesn't take a month for a monkey to do it either. (citation needed)

I just hope other companies are learning from Sony's mistake and bolt all the doors shut on their systems.

Tags: Add Tags