1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education LAN'ing - How to start?

Discussion in 'General' started by Impatience, 20 May 2015.

1. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

I'm planning on going to i55 this summer, but not really sure about how to make sure i'm ready for it! Can anyone tech'ers help me?

I have an ITX PC (So its easy to take there) with a TKL keyboard, mouse and a small (19") screen.. But i've heard horror stories from things being taken and nicked. Not too sure on how to make things "LAN-safe", or what i'd need to be prepared for it!

Anyone been to Insomnia before that can offer a newbie some advice?

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i used to staff the i series back in 03/04 and tbh I wouldn't bother with them, The I series is too big, too impersonal and has far too many security holes. It went to **** when the management told their core audience to **** off in favour of big business back at i34 and its been on a downward spiral since. theyve been hemorrhaging money for a while hence the reason they sold the event to Game.

I'd recommend the epic series, if you dont know anyone there start chatting to people on your row, also dont get too carried away that you forget proper sleep and proper food.

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Been to 4 iseries in the last couple of years, they're not for everyone but I certainly enjoyed them, probably wouldn't go on my own though.

I think they have a lan list of things to bring, a Kensington lock should be enough to dissuade any potential ruffians.

http://insomniagamingfestival.com/what-to-bring/

4. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Mainly phones and wallets that go walkies, most desktops are too bulky to nick. If you have space well worth taking your own wheelie chair. More comfortable and can be used for wheeling gear between car and desk. Pack monitor in box for the car journey to avoid transport fails. Take essential tools and what you need to reinstall incase of the worst. Nothing socks like day one woes and no way to remedy.

5. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Thanks for the advice guys! Only thing is.. How does a Kensington Lock work? I dont have a socket or anything on my case for one (modded Elite 110).. Is it worth modding something that the lock can be fixed to?

6. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Just loop through 2 empty pci bracket slots if you don't have padlock points

7. Xir

Xir Modder

I never left gear unattended, but always went with at least 2 persons...
    Ummm, otherwise, don't take your main system, or at least not your main HDD, setup a system (or OS) only for this.

8. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Mod a bracket onto it if you need to, but Kensington Locks for both case and monitor would be your best bet.

9. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Definitely try to go with friends to an i-series. It's so big and so many people it's quite impersonal.
    There doesn't feel like there's a community anymore like there was when I went to some between i12 and i25. So defo better to have people you already regularly play with there.
    As for making stuff safe, as others have said use lock through PCI bRackets and if you can lock
    The actual side of your case.

I miss moongames LAN :(

10. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Someone mentioned LAN's?

Been to I-series. while it was interesting, it is way too impersonal, catering more to Clans/Teams and businesses.

Currently been attending a LAN series based out of Uttoxeter for the past 5-6years, small with only 40 or so people. Didn't know a single one of them when I first went, but am now fast friends with the lot of the dirty bar-stewards.

Obligatory advertising for them, as the next LAN is in a few weeks.

----------------------------------
    GameOn are hosting their 92nd LAN party event. Whether you're a console or PC gamer, casual or hardcore, young or not so young, you're welcome to come along and have a laugh!

Running for over 15 years, GameOn LAN's have given individuals the opportunity to meet with other like-minded gamers, socialize and play a few games. If this is something that might interest you, check below for more details.

When: June - Friday 12th (2pm), Saturday 13th, Sunday 14th (5pm)

Where: Uttoxeter Race Course, Staffordshire, ST14 8BD

Sleeping: There is sleeping areas provided but we suggest you bring your own sleeping gear

Food: There is a tuck shop on-site which serves snacks and hot food

Alcohol: We do not provide alcohol at the event, but you are welcome to bring your own, should you be of age.

Official announcement thread: http://forums.gamegrin.com/showthread.php?t=78197
    ----------------------

11. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Have a look at the BIG Game Lan which is in Southampton 96 people not to far from Portsmouth.

https://thebiggame.org/

12. Xir

Xir Modder

I'm too old for this....

Mind you the last LAN I went to, the organisers were about 15 and their moms made dinner (included in the entrance fee). :D
    That surprised me a bit