1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Redox - By August

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by August L, 5 Aug 2015.

1. August L

August L What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Time has come for a new project to start, I've been thinking about this project for a few months and figuring out the details, I'm finally ready to get started! The computer is meant to act as my main system, therefore I went with the X99 platform as I could use the extra performance, Ofcourse everything is going to be watercooled, more about that later.

A little more about the name, Redox. The case that I will be using is an InWin D-frame mini, the case will be painting to reassemble rust, the whole project is based of the car-term Rat-Rod, as I want a rusty and beat up finish on the outside, but a sleek and fresh look on the inside.
    Redox is a gatheringword for Oxidation and Reduction, That's why I think the word fits the rusty theme.

[size=+1]componentlist[/size]
    CPU: Intel i7 5820k
    GPU: GTX 970
    GPU: GTX 970
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    RAM: Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 32GB (4x8GB
    SSD: Intel 730 240GB
    SSD: Intel 730 240GB
    PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 850w
    Fläktar: Noiseblocker E-loops

[size=+1]Onwards to the pictures![/size]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See you next update!

Last edited: 16 Feb 2016
  2. August L

Time has come for a new short update before I head of for vacation, I will be gone untill saturday så unfortunately you will have to live without updates for a week ;) next week the case is being prepped for painting and will start getting painted. More components will arrive shortly after that.

Since I didn't cover the project very well in the first post I'll explain a bit more on what the goal is for this project, as I mentioned earlier the build is being based of the car term "Rat-Rod" and therefore the case will be custom painted in a way that reassembles rust.
    The goal is to make the outside look old and beat up, details of perforated metal will also be added, and painted. I want the outside to look old and rusty to make the inside of the case really pop out. The inside of the PC will be mostly black but some accents of nickel will also be added, just to add to the new and fresh feeling. The build will host 2 GPUs, both being GTX 970's to fill up the case as much as possible, both the graphics card and CPU will also be watercooled.

You'll get to know more as the build progress, I don't want to reveal too much this early.

And ofcourse in a build like this I need fast storage, so I chose 2 Intel SSDs, Intel 730 240GB and Intel 530 240GB. The fans that I will be using on the radiators are Noiseblocker E-loops that will also be recieving an extra touch.

Here are a few pictures!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all for this update! see you next week.

3. August L

I'm back from my vacation and it's time for an update! today I've been prepping the case of painting, I've also test fitted some components to get a bigger view of how the results will be, it's going to be tight but it'll fit! The case has been stripped of all parts and screws, only the frame remains. Primer has been applied and I'll begin the painting in a few days.
    I will cover the custom paint a bit more in the next update!
    here are some photos of the test fit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The case has been stripped of all hardware and is getting ready to be painted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The primer has been applied! the rust painting will begin in a few days.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. August L

Update!

Update time!
    Hey guys, time for another update, in this update we will be covering some new components and some minor modifications.
    I've been trying out some different methods of painting and also some different types of paint to see what gives the best result and I decided to go with semi-matt black paint for most of the components in the build, such as the fans, some details on the motherboard and the RAM sticks.
    I didn't have time to get everything I needed ready so I could begin painting the case but some good news, I've decided to try my luck on Paracord since I haven't really worked with it a lot and I wanted to try something other than Teleios.
    I will most likely begin sleeving the PSU in a week or two, now that school's started again I don't have as much free time on my hand so there might be a slight change in the pace of updates.
    Onwards to some pictures! I decided to try painting the Noiseblocker E-loops with gunmetal grey plasti dip, I think the finish turned out good but unfortunately the layers were a bit too thick so it couldn't move freely whilst mounted, this is a risk I was aware of but I decided to give it a shot anyways.
    The final decision was to use semi-matt black spray paint for the fans and I'm absolutely in love with the results.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are some more detailed photos of how the finish turned out on the case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's a little surprise that I haven't really told many people about, I decided to go slightly old-school with the ram and I bought some old DDR2 OCZ Reapers to "borrow" the fins on and put them on my new set of 32gb's 2133MHz RAM. Here are some glamour shots!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. August L

Hello everybody! Sorry for the lack of updates recently, just started school again so I've had to prioritize school before modding, so unfortunately I haven't had a lot of free time to work in the past weeks, but I didn't want to keep you waiting too long so I decided to write a short update. The painting of the case has begun! I'm trying to be a bit secret about it and not reveal it until it's done, so you'll have to hang in there to witness the final results. Good news! Sleeving the Powerzone 850W PSU next up, this time I will be trying out some paracord, I decided to go with two different kinds, all black and white striped paracord.
    As you saw in the most recent update I got a hold of some oldschool DDR2 RAM coolers, these have been given a "special touch" to fit the theme of the build. The next part is customising the motherboard cooler to fit in better and fabricate a custom IO Cover. More about that later on.

Here are a few pictures of the sleeving I decided to go with.
    This will be my first time working with paracord so hopefully it'll go fine. I hope..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will post a sleeving update soon, most likely next week when everything is finished, as for the case that will be showcased when finished :)

Also! For those of you who are interested in my work, feel free to pop into my facebook page to find small updates and teasers of upcoming projects. https://www.facebook.com/AugustLCustoms

That is all for now! I will see you all in a few weeks.

6. August L

Time has come for a new update! I finally finished painting the case, I think the result is fantastic and I am unbelievably satisfied. What do you guys think? I will try to find time to sleeve the rest of the cables this weekend, I will post an update on the sleeving next week, so stay tuned for that! I also got a shot to try out my new Canon EOS 750D camera which I think is fantastic. The live-view mode really helps to get the focus the way you want it and to give the picture the desired "feeling". The painting has been my main priority the past weeks so I haven't been able to get a lot of other things done, apart from the sleeving.
    Sleeving pictures coming next week! Although, what do you think, White/black paracord or just all black. I haven't quite been able to make up my mind so I guess I'll just have to try out the different combinations.
    Anyways, onwards to the pictures!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all for this update! See you all next week.

7. Nizr

Nizr What's a Dremel?

Looking great August, you really have patience with that painting :)

8. August L

Thanks! Patience is sometimes needed for a better result ;)

9. ALL_grey

ALL_grey What's a Dremel?

That rust looks amazing, reminds me of weathered plastic model kits.

10. August L

Thanks!

11. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

You could always glue sand to the frame and paint it to build up a rust like material

12. August L

I haven't thought of that! good idea though.

13. August L

Hey guys! I was sort of saving my material for a big update but I felt that I couldn't keep you waiting too long, The custom fabrication process has started and I will have a few cool things to show off in the next update, including a really nice IO Cover. The sleeving update will also have to wait until next time as some of the parts has been delayed and I don't want to rush it. What I can tell you is that I will be making scratch cables for the whole build. All black, naked wires! I realised after a lot of thinking that I won't really get the rugged look I am looking for in paracord sleeved cables, so I decided to make scratch ones instead.
    I've also fiddeled around a bit with my rusting technique and I decided to make some of the components suit the case and blend in a bit more, so in this update I will just show a few sneak peeks, teasers if you will. Just to show off what I will be revealing in the next big update smile.png

Here are a few photos!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all I've got for this small update, stay tuned for the next one!

14. bmawn

bmawn PC Modding enthusiast

Looking great! The paint finish just looks awesome.

15. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

looks awesome. I want to blow torch the heat pipes on the ram lol

16. TeofiloDesign

TeofiloDesign What's a Dremel?

Just amazing! The paintjob is incredible

17. August L

Thanks Bmawn! :D
    Thank you, I had some thoughts about making the copper suit in but I decided to go with the nickel-plated look instead.

I'm glad you like it!

18. August L

Hey guys! It's time for the long awaited update where I will be revealing the last few weeks of work, I finished most of the custom fabrication, with both the PSU coverplate and new panel for the backside completed. I have to say I am very satisfied with the results, it clean aluminium really gives the case a good contrast to keep it from getting too rusty. on other notes, I started making the cables, I absolutely love the look of the cables inside the case, gives it that beefy look that you simply wouldn't get with normal sleeving.
    I had to redo the mounts for the IO Cover as one of the sadly broke off, so I grinded them both down and made new mounts that are now attached, next week I will be getting my custom length spacers for the rad mounts, these are meant to hold the radiator/fan mounts a bit further out to create more clearence for the motherboard heatsinks and simply for the looks.
    I also managed to get ahold of another Intel series 730 240gb SSD from a good friend of mine so I can have two matching drives instead of a 730 and a 530. I have yet not decided where I actually want to put them but I'm sure I will figure something out sooner or later :)
    Now, onwards to the pictures!
    Please tell me if you think I should continue with the "studio"-ish pictures or if I should stick with the workshop like pictures, you decide!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all for this update! I do hope you enjoy the pictures, See you next update :)

19. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

there is something soothing about perforated steel

20. August L

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that! welcome on board ;)