1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Total Annihilation server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Howie, 15 Sep 2005.

1. Howie

Howie What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    Its good to see so many of you still play TA :)

I have played TA for years on my LAN.

Can anyone help me on how to set up my TA as a server so my mate can connect to my game via WAN ?

Do i need some server/client software ?

Thanks

2. markit

markit What's a Dremel?

Total Annhilation doesn't use Servers, he/she will need to connect directly by finding out your IP address

3. Howie

Howie What's a Dremel?

Hmm i cant even connect on my lan via IP I have to use ipx/spx
    Is there something i should know ?

4. LockmanX

LockmanX What's a Dremel?

Hosting and connecting to a TA server on the internet is pretty easy. First, make sure the computer it's hosted on can be directly connect to via its IP (set it up as the DMZ if behind a router). Make sure the firewall is happy with TA. Give the computers IP to whoever you want to play with.

Now open up TA and go into multiplayer. When the box asking for the address comes up, leave it blank and hit OK. Now you should come to a server viewer style of thing. Hit create. Once you've got a lobby going, people can connect. Have them open up multiplayer. When they come to the screen asking for an address, have them enter your IP. Now when they are in the server viewer, they should see your game and be able to join your lobby.

Note that everyone MUST be running the same version of TA and that mods can kink up the works. If you are having version/whatever conflicts, I found the easiest fix was to just send them your TA folder and run from that.

There are no dedicated hosting solutions but TA being as old as it is, its hardly an issue. Ventrillo/Teamspeak makes cooridinating things a bit easier and it adds a new layer to the game being able to talk to your opponents.

As for LAN play, they should be able to see your game lobby in the server browser without having to much about with giving them the IP.

If I screwed up or a better write up is requested, I could probably get round to it later today. This is the method I've used to play TA with friends all over the place.

5. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

TA is the best real time strategy ever.

On most maps it gives you options other than just rushing.
    The rock-paper-scissors aspect is infinitely complicated,
    and unit combos are a must.

6. Twilight

Twilight What's a Dremel?

Looking for online Total Annihilation players (TA: Twilight)

I know there are still people who play Total Annihilation online. We usually play Total Annihilation:

Twilight, itself descended from Absolute Annihilation and Uberhack, and would love to have more people to

play with online.

The website is here:

http://twilight.tauniverse.com

and the latest version is here:

http://twilight.tauniverse.com/downloads.html

What is Total Annihilation: Twilight? The list below, while certainly not comprehensive, summarizes some

of the more notable features.

- Original Total Annihilation Feel

- Well Balanced Units, Structures, and Overall Gameplay

- Great Strategic and Tactical Depth

- New Units to Fill Strategic/Tactical Roles

- Improved Models

- Newly Added Sounds

- Errors and Bugs Fixed

- Single Player Campaigns Enabled

- Balanced Expressly for Multiplayer

- AI Built From the Ground Up

- Customizable AI Profiles

- Multi-Directional Factories

- Improved Loading and Unloading for Transports

- Nano Turrets and Fortification Turrets

- Larger, More "Naval" Feel to Ships

- Devastating Nuclear Weapons Worthy of the Name

- New Experimental Gantry Units On Both Sides

About Total Annihilation: Twilight

What is Total Annihilation: Twilight? Put simply, TA:T is an extension of OTA (Original TA), balancing

old units and adding in new ones, as might have happened had Cavedog (The maker of Total Annihilation)

not gone out of business and continued to update TA.

TA: Twilight strives to make all of the original units useful, as well as adding in new ones to fill

strategic roles, all while keeping the original TA feel. While there are many units, they have been added

for the purpose of filling specific roles and to generally improve gameplay and fun, and not just so we

can say we have lots of units. The idea is that every unit should have a good reason to be built and

used. There are some units that are more specialized, and whose ideal situation may not happen all of the

time, but the goal is to never have a unit that is just not worth building, either because it is

worthless in the first place, or because other units do what it does just as well. Some overlap is fine,

as long as each overlapping unit has a solid reason to be built in and of itself.

While the focus of TA:T is on multiplayer, much work has gone into trying to make the single player

(Against the AI) experience as fun as possible. The AI for TA:T has been built from the ground up, and

includes multiple options to focus the AI on a specific type of game. For example, you can set the AI to

build only aircraft, or only level 1 units, etc. All of these AI settings take only a few keystrokes to

enable.

From the Absolute Annihilation Twilight Betas to Total Annihilation: Twilight

Here's the short summary of where we came from:

Twilight had been a player of the Absolute Annihilation mod for quite a while (Which was itself descended

from the very popular UberHack TA mod), but when Caydr, the maker of Absolute Annihilation, decided to

stop supporting the OTA version and only release new versions for the Spring engine, Twilight asked for

permission to continue to work on AA and release new versions of it.

Caydr granted this permission, and so since about November of 2005, Twilight had been maintaining and

releasing "Twilight Betas" of Absolute Annihilation, which continued to fix bugs and adjust balance

issues found in AA version 6.0. For a few months the forums had been hosted at Caydr's own website,

www.caydr.com, but an announcement on the front page of the site on January 30th, 2007 stated that he was

too busy to keep the site going, and was going to let it lapse. The "Twilight Betas" had changed things

substantially since Twilight had taken over development, and he wanted to avoid confusion between the

latest "Beta" (Released February 13th, 2007) and the last "official" release of Absolute Annihilation for

the TA engine (Instead of the Spring engine), which was put out in the summer of 2005. Because of this,

Twilight had been planning to break off and rename the mod, so that he could drop the tenuous "Beta"

pretense, and just develop this new mod officially. Caydr's announcement sounded like a good excuse to

get that moving, and so, with deep thanks to TAUniverse's gracious hosting, Total Annihilation: Twilight

began!

Since taking over in November 2005, Twilight released about 12 new "beta" versions of the AA mod, ending

with Twilight Beta 5.7. Instead of 5.8, the next version was Total Annihilation: Twilight v1.0, released

in March of 2007 (Lately there is about 1 new version released every month or two, depending on the

number of changes made). TA:T is now up to version 1.5a, and Twilight continues working with the

community on fixing bugs, balancing units, adding in new units to fill needed roles, etc. TA:T has a

small but active community who post quite frequently in the forums regarding balance, new ideas, etc, and

we usually have several multiplayer games going on each day and evening.

We are a very welcoming and friendly group of people, and primarily are looking to find new people to

play with on-line and introduce to the fun of TA. We have started a tournament recently, but generally

just play friendly games. Veteran players and newcomers alike are both welcome!

You can contact me through MSN Messenger or email with twilight13[at]gmail.com.

Thanks, and I look forward to playing with some of you on-line.

Twilight

7. EskimoJoe

EskimoJoe What's a Dremel?

If anyone ever wants to play me

Hey all,

If anyone ever want to play me in a game of total annihilation/absolute annihilation, just IM me or PM me to set up a time and we can get a killing!! Take care and kill ya soon ;)

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

You could use Hamachi to set up a virtual LAN you can use for TA

9. EskimoJoe

EskimoJoe What's a Dremel?

How so? I don't know what Hamachi is

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en

Everyone downloads it and sets it up, it gives you a tutorial when you first boot it up

One person creates a group and invites everyone, when you have hamachi booted up and everyone logged in it acts like you're all on a network so you just go to LAN games and you can connect to each other just like if you would normally if you were on a LAN, using your hamachi IP as the IP address. If you look in your network connections you'll see that hamachi creates a new hamachi network connection.

That's a pretty bad explanation but I'm sure you can get the jist of it from that.

Tags: