1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What did you LAST repair?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dude111, 1 Jan 2017.

1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Last night I fixed a VHS tape of a movie I got.. (I didnt realise the tape was broken (It broke right @ the end of the clear leader tape))

I opened the shell and got completly aggravated as I cant ever get those 2 pieces in the back BACK IN once they come out..... (I dont know how they go in and when I open the shell,they usually fall out) I was almost going to give up and throw it away but then I remembered I had a blank cassette I could use the shell from.......

I carefully opened THAT SHELL and looked closely inside on how to remove the spools without those pieces coming out!

[color=1]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFYh1V-JmW81E-0grpXhsOky2hN9_emN__hm0gYsLXyEKWAeWWVtlLUfw[/color] (Those things behind the spools)

I opened the take up spool and took the old lead tape off and just clamped the play tape to the spool (The dark tape) ...... Finally got it back in,screwed together and I tried it and SHE WORKS WELL!!!!!!!!

This is the first vhs tape I have fixed properly!! (With those pieces still there (I didnt wanna lose this 1st release of this movie..... A very good/scary Paul Newman movie! (1981 - Absence of Malice)))

Its rewarding!!!

2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

My nan had her mind set on purchasing a new table because one of the table legs was broken, after inspection the leg was missing the nuts which slide inside the leg so anything can screw inside them...

So i hammered some permanent screw holders into the leg holes, and boom perfect table again...

Now instead of purchasing a new table she wants a new Sofa set costing 5x as much... Nps

3. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Did a couple of repairs for my sister, ber bed had a few busted slats so I made up some new ones and fitted them, and her bookcase shelf needed fixing too. I fix PC crap every dayso I'm not listing any of that.

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I re-did the Supra Wire on a gentleman's glasses that had a mishap over Christmas.

No doubt I'll mend a bunch more specs next week too.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Most recently, a broken screen on my little un's laptop.

I fix up stuff all the time - not sure if it's because I get a thrill out of extending the life of something or that I'm a tight git. Probably both. Most of the appliances in my kitchen have been repaired by me.

I like resurrecting dead monitors, or buying a couple for spares/repairs and building a working unit out of the bits. The 30 inch Dell sitting in front of me was a repair job, almost five years ago, and it's still going strong.

6. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

Most recently of all things a cello. On the software front getting a VPN to work with a virtualized OS, in this case a guest Ubuntu install and a host Windows one.

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

7. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

What counts as a repair though? Does pulling the blade(s) out of a tool and getting them sharpened and then re-installing count? Does pulling a (self inflicted) dent on my vehicle count? How about replacing the starter?

More often than I repair stuff, I take parts from old, broken things and make new stuff from them. My whole house is made of stuff like this.

That said, repairing a VIA tape in this day and and he is impressive :thumb:

8. Xir

Xir Modder

Reminds me that the yearly-spool-through on the VCR to flex the beltdrives is due again. :rolleyes:

Replaced the tiny belt in a CD-ROM drive.... I'd just have swapped it out completely but IDE-CD-ROM drives seem to be unobtainable new on an industrial level) :D

9. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Swapped out the smashed screen on my old Lumia 1020 last month, much easier than I'd expected tbh. Aside from tinkering with computers the only other things that I 'fix' on a semi regular basis is my bikes but that's mostly maintenance stuff really.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nothing technical: my mother bought a chair from a charity shop and only discovered that one of its feet was loose and badly repaired when she got it home. Quick and nasty repair with some mending plates and brackets and it's good as new.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Last thing i repaired was the washing machine, it started tripping the fuse because of a failing heating element so that got replaced with a new one for £40.

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Probably the most recent thing would be my wife's Ecig.

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Well I make a living from repairing things, many of which are too boring to share here. But an interesting one would be the windscreen wiper stalk on my van, which arced and caused a small electrical fire a while back whilst I was driving during a heavy rain shower! It left me with wipers but no screen washers for a couple of weeks. I just needed a new stalk module and the fuse which it took out, so thankfully it was a simple enough repair.

14. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I've not got round to testing it yet but the last thing I (hopefully) repaired was the brake pedal of my Sidewinder force feedback steering wheel. Before that it would be fixing an annoying update issue with Windows 7 on my mum's PC.

I have an old Samsung monitor that I think I can fix but the ribbon cable I need is quite expensive, maybe there is a cheaper alternative but I'm no expert on cables.

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

So no-one here prone to stuff like this:

[​IMG]

16. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

^Ha ha, me far too many times.

17. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Most of my recent repair jobs have been fixing (mostly gluing) cheaply made toys for my sons.

18. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Bought a laptop from someone at work for cheap money as they were going to bin it, they had no idea what they wanted for it, whats was wrong or what the specs were. They said for £20 I could have it.

It turned out to be faulty RAM :)

Thats the most recent thing I've repaired.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nice! I had something similar back in the 90s: bought an Atari 1040STe with 4MB RAM for £1 'cos it didn't turn on; replaced the internal fuse and all was well. Total time spent: about three minutes. Did me solid for a decade and a half, that machine, until I gave it a new home in the last clearout.

20. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

The last thing I repaired?? I recently fixed a friend's truck due to the last owner's screw up.. The Battery top terminals. Runs quite well now. Also replaced the headlights for him as well. Quite a experience to do!