1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Anyone use Sky Fiber and SMTP?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by x5pilot, 7 Feb 2013.

1. x5pilot

x5pilot Fragile explosion

Hi guys,
    Dont really know the section for this question but will stick in here....

Ive been using an Exchange Server (SBS 2008) for a number of years and its been working perfectly right up until yesterday when I had Sky Fiber broadband installed.

I can receive email fine to the Exchange Server but cannot send.
    In Exchange I have the SMTP send connector set to use DNS MX records to route mail automatically, however I may need to specific a smart host now - although Sky do not sanction one for use and I cannot think of any others.

I am reading various reports and notices on various Sky forums and support sites saying that Sky do not support outbound SMTP. I find this staggering to believe and if true I will need to cancel my new installation and jump to BT.

But before I do this has anyone else experienced this or anyone know how to get this working?

Thanks

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

use sky's smtp (smtp.tools.sky.com ), I do the same with my sbs server on bt, you will need to use the account settings for your sky email to authorise it

the other thing you could do, is register a cheap mail service with someone like 1and1, and use their smtp server settings in you send connector

Last edited: 7 Feb 2013
  3. x5pilot

Hi Rich,
    I appreciate the advice and its in line with what I was thinking however can I ask you a couple of questions relating to the sky smtp server...

You mention I could use my account settings from my sky email, but I never recall receiving any email settings other than my username and password to log into my online sky account (which I've tried and doesnt work) I just wanted to ask you this question before I go digging for a sky email account that Im not aware of!

Also, just so I'm on the right page, I enter the smtp.tools.sky.com into the "Route mail through the following smart hosts" on SBS (2008) and then specific the above username and password under the Basic Authentication option with the Basic Auth over TLS checkbos disabled?

One last thing, if I cant get this working what email service do you think would be sufficient on a site such as 1 and 1 that you mention in order to use thier smtp servers (although I cant see any mention of this service on thier site)?

Thanks again!

4. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

A few ISPs still block port 25 outbound. The main reason is it stops hassle with dynamic IP ranges getting blacklisted for SPAM.
    If you want to run outbound SMTP yourself then call Sky and see if they do static IP assignments, as these are usually not restricted, but best to double check.

5. x5pilot

Hi Andy,
    I know for a fact Sky do not block port 25 and they dont offer static IPs either - not that I would even think of trying to get through to someone there that knew what a static IP was!

I kind of expected this from a large isp (compared to bethere internet who I left)

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the most basic package is all that is required Instant Mail, you create an email address, then use auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk with the email address you created, basic authentication.

sky use ssl encryption, so you would need to set that and also port 465, I can't remember if there is an option for that in the setup
    as far as email account, it is the one you got from sky with that password

Last edited: 8 Feb 2013
  7. x5pilot

Rich,
    I've been able to use the Sky smtp.tools.sly.com server to route email outbound on my SBS2008 however the problem is now that its using my sky email address (which I found) as the actual email adddress therefore recipients aren't seeing my real email address and cannot respond - or if they do the reply goes back to my Sky email instead of my exchange server email.
    Hope Im making sense!
    Will I get the same problem if I sign up to 1and1?
    James

8. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

no you won't have the same problem with the 1and1 servers, unless the server isn't setup quite right

10. x5pilot

Guys,
    Just an update and thanks...
    Rich, I signed up to 1 and 1 - £9 for a year! Am using their smtp server to route outbound no problems while also using the username and password provided for the basic account.
    Thank you for your help!
    James

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

glad I could help and you got it sorted