1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows **SOLVED** Windows Update infinitely checking for updates or downloading

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by oscy, 2 Jan 2017.

1. oscy

oscy Modder

Since December I noticed Windows Update (on Windows 7, 64-bit) hadn't found any updates, even though there should be one every month around the 12th. As I recall, it would search but not find any.

Then on the 1st January, it found the 3 mid-December updates. But when I tried to download anyway, it would stay at 0%. And if I looked for updates again, it would seem to be stuck searching.

I've been doing all the Googling to fix it.

Windows Update Troubleshooter - Either using the one on the computer or downloading one, it is unable to fix one error: 0x80050057. The reason for this is 'Access to the path 'C:\Windows\softwaredistribution' is denied'. I tried changing the owner of this folder to my account rather than 'SYSTEM', but it made no difference.

[​IMG]

Manual reset - The troubleshooter automatically resets the Windows Update components. There was a guide to manually do it so I tried that (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/971058). The problem was when going through the dll list. The first few were fine, but after that a few didn't work, starting with mshtml.dll. The error message says "The module "(blahblah).dll" was loaded but the entry-point DLLRegisterServer was not found. Make sure that "etcetc.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again."

[​IMG]

Registry Editing - One fix said about going into the Windows Update folder in HLKM via regedit, however there was no folder at all. So I copy/pasted its supposed registry entry and merged it, so now it has that folder. This wasn't the solution though.

[​IMG]

Network Troubleshooter - At first this wouldn't work (error code 0x80070005, which seems to be meaningless), but after the registry edit it works fine. I tried it, and it found no probems, and I've had no connection problems anyway.

Manually installing updates individually - I thought this wouldn't be so much of a problem, but alas Microsoft make it hard and you have to know the specific article number (eg. KB12345678). This wouldn't have been a problem, but now through all my fiddling Windows Update seems to have reset or something, so I can no longer see what the December updates were (one was 7MB, another about 70MB, another about 150MB). Also it doesn't show previously installed updates, and I don't know if that means somehow I've removed all of them (I suspect that would take ages and be obvious) or they're all still there, it's just starting afresh with what it considers previously installed.

Selective Startup - Tried all of that with a Selective Startup (only booting with Microsoft services).

System Update Readiness Tool - Tried one or two of these, and it hangs around looking for updates 'on this computer' just like Windows Update.

I haven't done a full Malwarebytes scan since November, but I'll bet you tree fiddy it finds nothing even with a full overnight scan. Comodo hasn't notified me of anything.

I know Windows Update hanging is becoming a common occurrence, but I feel I've left it long enough. Halp.

2. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

3. oscy

oscy Modder

As soon as I read this post, I was reading through the sea of answers in one of the Microsoft Answers questions, and there was a guy saying something similar. Whenever he had this problem he installed two specific KBs, though different ones. So I tried that, only 2nd one installed, but it's worked, Windows Update found 4 updates this time. Still takes a few minutes to search.

So the solution for Googlers or my future self:

1) Go into Windows Update settings and choose to never update.

2) Google and download but don't install KB3020369 and KB3172605 (make sure it's for the right Windows eg. Windows 7).

3) Open 'msconfig', select 'Selective startup', click the 'Services' tab at the top, click/tick the 'Hide all Microsoft services', click the 'Disable all' button. Apply/ok, then you'll be prompted to reboot. Reboot.

4) After reboot, open 'cmd' as administrator. Type: net stop wuauserv

5) Press enter. After some seconds, it should stop.

6) Install KB3020369, then install KB3172605.

7) I think you'll be prompted to reboot for each one, so reboot each time.

8) It should all be good. Go into Windows Update and see if it's all in working order. Searching for updates might still take a long time, 5 minutes maybe. It'll probably find newer updates you need to install. Patience.

9) If it didn't work, go back to 1) but download and install KB3050265 and then KB3102810.

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Given the myriad of other errors you encountered during your attempts to fix the Windows Update problems, it looks like a decent amount of damage has occurred to core Windows files. That would probably account for most of your issues.

Run an sfc in an elevated command prompt followed by a restart, to help alleviate future issues.

5. oscy

oscy Modder

It didn't find anything wrong.

6. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

No it probably won't, but it's surprising how often it says that when it does in fact fix things.