1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Robot Wars S9

Discussion in 'General' started by Gunsmith, 6 Mar 2017.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

first ep was on lastnight, really enjoyed it, some good destruction.

anyone else catch it?

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

On my mini list for tonight, shall report back

3. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Yeh was pretty good, don't think I've ever seen so many robots thrown so high into the air by spinners before either... especially that Matilda one!

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Looks like vertical spinners are the New Thing now (along with robots being too powerful for the materials they are constructed out of).

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Another program that the BBC has dumbed down to the nth degree. Hardly any info on the robot build but plenty of silly camera shots and effects of the builders in even more silly poses.
    Yet another program ruined and off my watch list.

6. legoman

Well, that was carnage, I knew nutz was doomed from the start, Jellyfish was a surprise they managed to latch onto sabretooth and do exactly what they said it was designed for.
    As usual the most expensive robot breaks, three rotating spinners Vs a flipper was never going to end well.
    Sabretooth were unlucky that drum you heard spin up once giving that lovely death hum just a shame they didn't have a spare drum unit!
    Aftershock worked very well despite some dubious driving and attacks on already crippled bots. Terrahertz did well but its showing its age a bit, axes just don't do the damage anymore unfortunately.

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Never understood why people arm their bots with axes and hammers. Sure, war-hammers were intended to for use against heavily armoured opponents, but primarily to rattle the squishy bits inside, which robots don't have. And axes are for chopping wood...

Can't go wrong with a simple spinning death wheel, as Hypno-Disc proved in spectacular fashion.

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

give it a rest you whiny old sod.

Chairboy likes this.
  9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Maybe not squishy, but certainly plenty of rattle-y bits. Like crimp-on wiring connectors, motor windings, hydraulic/pneumatic fittings, and the ever-vulnerable Removable Link.
    A sideways smack would likely be more effective than a vertical one, but harder to implement.

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

*shuts his eyes*

Didn't realise this was even on again. Will catch up tonight and watch next week, t'was nice to have something decent on the TV of a Sunday evening.

11. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Like the kind from a 20kg horizontally mounted flywheel?;)

In all honesty, if I were to build a robot (which as a mechanical engineer, I have been VERY tempted to), I would go the Tornado route - basic reversible box, lots of pushing grunt, modular weapon system, no obvious weak points.:dremel:

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I'm wondering if he should swap the axe for a hammer. if you're going for blunt trauma you might as well go all in, either that or something that pierces.

13. legoman

This is where Shunts axe works, most seems to go for the traditional wood chopping axe, Shunts is more a piercing device make holes ideally connect with something that doesn't like holes and job done.

Forgot to say, good to see the house robots actually being of some use, for example killa a lot de tangling jellyfish and sabretooth.

14. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Enjoyed it a lot, some nice destruction though Aftershock could've done with leaving immobilised robots alone, they certainly got by on their weapon's potency alone.

15. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I think words might have been spoken, because they certainly seemed to hold back in later bouts.

16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Epic show Sunday. Didn't watch until today but totally epic showdown between Apollo and Carbide.

Any one else been watching?

17. rollo

rollo Modder

Battle bots is much more fun to watch.

I still consider Tornado cheats, stupid cage that should of been deemed illegal from the start. Season 7 they said themselves the shows creators where not going to let them win. Typhoon got 3-4 resets that was not shown on live tv.

They destroyed the wall, both robots broke down together, and both got stuck. The 3rd one is pretty contended as tornado put them to that point. 4th one is the only one shown on tv where typhoon wins.

Was a huge firestorm fan as a kid since they are from the local area, bigger brother was always fun. Razor was a work of art more than a robot for a lot of the series, they did finally get it together.

18. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Razor went out in the first round in S8 like they always did in the original series back in the day. A pity really as it is a stunning looking Robot.

I have tried watching Battle Bots, the battles are great but the American presenters really wind me up, don't know what is but I just feel that 3, plus the commentators for the fights are not needed in all honesty.

19. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It was great indeed, but I fear Carbide has been refined to the point of being unstoppable.

The final show might just be an hour of Carbide shredding up everything. I also think matching Apollo and Carbide in the same heat was a mistake. They're too entertaining to ensure the elimination of one.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2017
  20. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I must admit, I'm just thoroughly bored with a lot of the robots on show, but then I have an immense dislike of all flipper/ramming bots. They don't do damage, they simple push stuff around which half of the time results in boring cat and mouse tactics.

I do like the spinners a lot, but holy hell they break down so easily, which ultimately breaks it for the viewer. There's simply too much force going on in there not to do internal damage most of the time. I think if you intend to bring a proper spinner, you need to have like 3 robots worth of spares.

Also, am I missing something, but surely fanbelts would be better than chains for spinners? Chains just shatter when that much force is put through them on impact, that or it all gets put onto the motor which then promptly dies. In a spinner, the force should be from the flywheel spinning, not the motor, you only need the motor to power it up fast. Sure a chain makes that easier and can of course be made to individual lengths very easily, but with the money being ploughed into some of these bots I'd have thought even a custom belt would make sense.

Man if you had a decent CNC machine you could build a bot that could be almost entirely new each round, material costs are pennies when your limit is your own time. Could instead put funds towards replacement motors/batteries/controllers etc.