1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards BOOT_DEVICE_LED on Asus Sabertooth X58

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JTG06, 9 Jul 2014.

1. JTG06

JTG06 What's a Dremel?

Hi all

I'm having a little trouble with my old pc which is:

Asus Sabertooth X58 (bios version 1304)
    Core i7 950 (at stock)
    12GB (6x2GB) Corsair RAM (1600MHz)
    MSi GTX 580 Lightning
    256GB Samsung 830 SSD
    Be Quiet 850W PSU

On powering up, the POST is pausing just after the memory test. On the motherboard there are some diagnostic LEDs, and the BOOT_DEVICE_LED remains on.

That pause can be quite some time - up to 10 minutes or more. I've done some searching and can't find a definitive answer. Some say it could be:

• A Razer USB device failing - I do have a Razer mouse and keyboard
    • The SSD which my OS is on - I used Magician 4 and no problems while performance testing
    • The RAM - I ran the Windows memory diagnostic when rebooting and found no errors
    • The PSU - I have no means of testing this at present
    • The BIOS - but I've had no cause to update it and I always thought the BIOS either worked or it didn't i.e. corrupted.
    It's late and I've not finished testing, but was wondering if anyone else had come across this problem?

Incidentally, I have recently done a clean install of Win 8.1 only 2 weeks ago and had no problems with the machine until one time I let it go to sleep (power management) overnight.

The next day, pressing any button on the keyboard made the keyboard lights flash for a split second, but the pc did not come out of sleep. Power button didn't restart it either.

I disconnected the power at the mains, restarted and then during POST it gave me the overclock failure message and asked to reload defaults (which I didn't do - the ram is still at 1600 using XMP). Rebooted immediately and booted into Windows without any problems.

I'm not sure if the pc was rebooted without problems the next time it was powered up, but this problem has manifested within a few power ups/downs (definitely less than 10 anyway).

Could this be linked? Seems like a hell of a coincidence. I have since disabled putting the pc to sleep in power management.

Thanks for any help :)

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Id strip it down to bare minimum required to boot.

Id also try with a bog standard PS2 mouse and KB if you can to rule out any issues with your usb stuff.

No drives just how long it takes to post.

Then work back to see when problem reoccurs if it goes away.

3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I believe my 1156 asus board did something similar. It worked after turning xmp off and running at default 1333.

4. JTG06

JTG06 What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys. I'm gonna try disconnecting everything at the weekend and see what happens.

I tried reducing the RAM frequency even as low as 1066, but no difference so I put it back up to 1600.

Thanks again for your help.