1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows IP address won't renew [fixed]

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Krikkit, 15 Aug 2010.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Hi guys, I'm having a bit of trouble with my laptop.

I was using it to update our Blu-Ray player (too far away from the router) via a wireless bridge. Once I removed the connections from the bridge the wireless won't again, with the error about my IP address not being able to be renewed.

It works fine with an IP specified, but with DHCP enabled it does nothing and reverts back to a 169.x.x.x IP.

The wired connection works just fine, assigning its proper static IP from the router etc.

I've done ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew with no luck. I've also reset the winsock as suggested by a google, but everything else I can find is a long-winded way of using a static IP, which isn't really ideal for a laptop which travels around with me.

Anyone got any ideas?

[edit] Sorted now, reconnected the 10/100 and the wireless at the same time, and it's now connected without trouble. Very odd.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2010
  2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Disable the wireless adapter in device manager (and then with a hardware switch if the laptop has one), reboot the machine. Re-enable everything then reboot again.

My sister's laptop needs this doing occasionally, but I think it's more to do with the N/g adapter being used on a g network. It's worth a shot though.

3. Krikkit

That didn't cure my problems, but thanks for the advice - I'd already rebooted at least twice, as well as rebooting the router. :)

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Ok let's do it the HARD way.

1- Open Command prompt as Admin, type: ipconfig /release (don't renew)
    2- Now, shut-down the laptop
    3- Turn off all computers connected to the router EXCEPT for 1 WIRED computer.
    4- remove power and battery of the laptop.
    5- Go to your Wireless router configuration and execute an IP Address Release (for Linksys router, it's under Status section)
    6- unplug wireless router power cable(don't plug-it back) (on your way, you can change your real IP, by unplugging your modem)
    7- Wait 5min, or 10min if you unplug your modem for your ISP servers to let you go.
    8- If you disconnected the modem, plug the modem and let it fully connect. (if any modem update occurs, it may take a moment before it reconnects, be patient).
    9- Plug in the wireless router and wait until it fully boots.
    10- Turn computer that you want the to have the first ip: (example: 192.168.1.100), and do the same for any other computer.
    11- But back the battery of your laptop and power
    12- Turn on the laptop, and let it connect to the internet.

This 12 step ultimate trick, ALWAYS works in resetting both your IP and re-ordering your computer network ip's.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2010
  5. Krikkit

Thanks Goodbytes, but I'd already done that (except for the pointless bits about removing a laptop battery, booting my computers up in sequence and waiting for my ISP to release my IP).

6. andrewbarke

andrewbarke What's a Dremel?

try typing from the command prompt:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

that should get the router to issue a new ip address to your laptop, if not try updating the drivers for the wireless adaptor