1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [COMPLETE] PROJECT OVERWATCH by PEXON / / HEX GEAR R40

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by shrop, 22 Aug 2016.

1. shrop

shrop El Jefe of Sleeving

P R O J E C T / / O V E R W A T C H

[​IMG]

SPONSORS / / MSI UK / / OVERCLOCKERS UK / / E22 AND HEXGEAR / / SUPERFLOWER ​

Specifications:-

CASE: HEX GEAR R40
    CPU: Intel Pentium G5420
    MOBO: MSI B150M Mortar ARCTIC
    GPU: MSI GTX1070
    RAM: Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 16GB
    PSU: SuperFlower LEADEX Gold 750W
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint M8 1TB 2.5"

Full Alphacool watercooling components throughout. [waterblocks, radiators, fittings]
    Phobya Bionic ELOOP fans [120mm]

Custom Overwatch 240mm and 360mm fan grills in white acrylic
    Full custom made cables by PEXON

This build was inspired from the great response from Vault 111/ fallout 4 themed rig we made for i55 last year. I wanted to make an Overwatch themed project for i58. The only case for the job was the r40. The shape, layout and obviously, hex cuts work perfectly for the theme. Orange and white will be the main colours for rig and the accents will be silver// stainless.

Thank you to OVERCLOCKERS and SuperFlower for providing another PSU. This time around we have a white (sex) 750W GOLD rated LEADEX unit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obvious reason for the LEADEX is for the 9x universal connectors. As I am only using 1 gpu and 1 cpu cable, I have 7 other connectors left for periperhals/ LEDs/ pumps etc and they will be directly wired into the PSU.

[​IMG]

Thank you to MSI for supplying the rock solid B150M Mortar motherboard, as featured in the Fallout 4 build, but this time around we have it in an amazing white// camo styling

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RAM used is Crucial Ballistix Sport to go with the white theme. 16GB kit in 4x4gb for a full bank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cabling will be done in Teleios Orange and Fusion Carbon (clear // black) sleeving with orange connectors and white cable combs from E22

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GPU will be an MSI GTX 1070 FE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its a shame to be watercooling the GPU, that stock cooler is gorgeous

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something cheap and dirty to get the rig show ready as time is against us before LAN...

[​IMG]

... CPU will be upgraded soon

Sprayed up the CPU mounting block with Montana GOLD white spray after sanding off all the powder coating, degreasing and priming

[​IMG]

Whats this gonna be then?

[​IMG]

Stainless overbraid on the 16mm x 10mmm tubing; something different as hardline just doesn't do it for me, sorry! :p

[​IMG]

Now. I thought this was going to be a breeze. Oh how wrong I was. Stainless is a PITA to work with. I've welded it before, its a pain. Cutting it with a chop saw takes ages, its a pig to work with but it looks balla. The tubing is cut to size, the stainless overbraid is threaded on to the tubing. Now, you need to cut excess. ànd apply tape to the ends. The collars// compression rings must be applied before cutting as seen later. I found that using a deburring tool on the collar helps so much. I use a 'shaviv
    branded tool and it works a treat.

The stainless steel overbraid is cut with dremel cut off wheel. Slow speed, patience and good quality blades are a must.

PTFE tape on the thread stops anything gunking up, the braid fouling or flash getting stuck.

[​IMG]

Prepare for GNARLY fingers and no finger prints trying to get the braid on without stabbing yourself. Again, taking my time helped, patience is a virtue. You HAVE to hold the fitting and not the tubing, if you move the tubing, you will get pulls, frays and the tubing will slip and cause bumpy bits and just look narstie with crossed braid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also made up a nifty little LED strip with some extruded aluminium profile and clear// trans diffuser. Cool white LEDs are going to suit this best. Orange will bleach too much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The PSU shroud got a lovely coat of HAMMERITE, yup, hammerite. Silver hammered finish.

[​IMG]

I also knocked up a lovely IEC C13 cable with a sturdy 3 pin orange plug and Arctic Grade 1mm SY cable (3 core).

[​IMG]

I will leave it here for today...

[​IMG]

Thank you for looking

//PEXON

Last edited: 10 Oct 2016
  2. BLAMM0

BLAMM0 What's a Dremel?

Have a SuperFlower myself, I like your tube sleeving.

3. shrop

They really are great PSUs aren't they!

I have some more progress on the tubing overbraid and will update tonight :)

4. BLAMM0

BLAMM0 What's a Dremel?

Yes, I think it's the best PSU I've had, just a shame that I had to order it from aborad :)

5. shrop

Bit of a jump forward, but, it has to be done before LAN, so here goes...

The rear panel is finished, bar 2 molex cables and 1 SATA power cable that I will be making up tomorrow, nice and clean

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waterblock and backplate fitted and installed, look pretty good actually. If I had time, I would have done them orange, silver or white, but times against us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shhh... dont tell. I ordered a right angled IEC connector, not a left, so I had to remake it :3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, have a little logo sticker on silver vinyl schemed up . Mercy outline in chrome effect with the overwatch logo. Same goes for the top rad sticker, with all the champ related origin flags. White will be swapped for silver on the background, I think that is going to look sweet!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all for now folks! Nearly done!

[​IMG]

6. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

I havent seen metal sleeving used for cables in a very long time. It looks fantstic with the over all color scheme!
    And the cherry on top, of course, is the sleeved tubes

Looking forward to final pictures!
    Btw. You should do a video of filling the loop, just for lolz

7. shrop

LOL you won't even see it :D Thanks for the kind comments

8. shrop

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates. I managed to get it all done for LAN. I am planning final pics and possibly a video as we did with the Fallout build. Now time to start thinking about the next build? Thoughts? I reallllly want to do a build in a Lian Li again, something super clean and simple

The builds cables all finished up in orange and carbon fusion Teleios. As there weren't many fans, I decided to knock up some splitters and pop them behind the blanking panels

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some black cable ties blended in well, so I didn't use the stainless steel ones, perhaps another time....

Oooooooo

[​IMG]

It DIDNT leak! :D

[​IMG]

But you have to be sure

All tubed up and working

[​IMG]

The underglow from the bottom LED strip actually worked well, I was dubious, but the lack of light from the top allows you to see the flags on the top rad and is just enough without being to OTT

[​IMG]

Overwatch logo looks epic on the window panel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now... they are quick and dirty pics from LAN (I was trying to take photos whilst people were playing VR on the MSI stand, better pics soon)!

Thanks for looking :)

9. shrop

Hey guys, long time no see, I am sorry :(

Work has gotten on top of me and I was not able to get some final, decent photos of the project, but, here we go!

http://imgur.com/a/ynMmA // more pics here <

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, all I can do is thank the following for supporting PROJECT OVERWATCH, the build would not have been doable without you:-

Tom and the media guys at MSI UK who kindly displayed her on their stand at Insomnia.
    Nate at E22/ HEXGEAR for the case and continued support
    The guys at Alphacool, Eddy you are a legend
    All the lads at Overclockers, Chris, Pack, Hal :X

And thank you all for looking, I hope to be back with a new build log in the next month or so. This time, not as hectic as this!

<3 James/ pex

Last edited: 9 Oct 2016
  10. Quantum-192

Quantum-192 What's a Dremel?

Amazing work on those stainless braided tubes - the whole mod looks fantatstic :thumb:

11. shrop

Cheers Quantum, it was a pain, but it looks ace, so I am happy with all the pain and grief lol