1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling MSI 460GTX Hawk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by law99, 15 Apr 2012.

1. law99

law99 Custom User Title

So... I've been umming and arring over various ideas for watercooling my pc.

I decided I can save a lot of money by just giving my Hawk a run for it's money with a universal block with those lovely looking little ram heatsinks - rather than going either 570 or 560ti with full cover.

I'm a cheapskate though, so I've been looking at decent PSU, case and a watercooling kit as an investment that I don't mind having a finance on(if they accept my application that is) so going one stop shopping is the only way to do it if I'm not prepared to test my own patience by "waiting" to be able to afford stuff on its own, or at a later point. Plus, I wan't to get it all done in one go.

But... with scan I'd have to buy the bridge edition rather than this one.

Now I'm not very clever with these things... so when in doubt, I use pictures :thumb:. (and ask way too many questions...)

Pictures however over on ek's site show the bridge edition looming over the memory modules or whatever we have above the core in this picture.

So can I get the little heatsinks under there or what? And... do I need them? I'd have thought you did... plus some sort of air flow over the card again... which I'd sort out afterwards.

What's the crack here? The installation manual also looks fairly flush against them... should I just get over it and shell out for the non bridge version out of finance? We are looking at me saving £40... maybe I should just get over it... or cool my cpu only and look later(after holidays and such to add a new card entirely after brutalising teh 460 on air?)

How much does memory need to be cooled?

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Would have thought a used GTX 480 would be a better option for pure gaming then chop in the GTX 460. From my recent foray, water cooling is not a cheap option. Only if you have a burning desire to water cool should you give it a bash. For me it's all about having a little play with my old 680i rig.

3. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I can't sleep at night... LOL.

Seriously though, I've always wanted to do it. And I'd imagine the case, psu and loop (in whatever shape or form) will remain constant for a long time. only other parts will change. I don't game a lot, so I'm willing to have a go at hammering my hawk. Which is why I bought it in the first place. For the fun of overclocking it also...

But that's also why i want to watercool... To push my hardware. At some point near christmas I'd like to upgrade mobo and hammer my 2500k also... I'd have stuff to sell also when ditching the air malarky.

Edit: Blogins, did you have a thread about overclocking the 460 series plus BIOS nodding? Or did I dream it... ? I'd like to have a read if it was.

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

That's the right answer! Go for it in that case! :D

Also, I did recently resurrect my GTX 460 thread. It's right here...

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=220423

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Oooo... Bookmarking. I might run the hawk through some hoops tomorrow also. Seems so obvious it was called that now, what with the 480 appreciation society running also.