Other Games you have struggled to finish

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kronos, 4 Apr 2013.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I do not know if it is just me but I seem to struggle to finish more and more games, usually because they have not captured my attention in a way that I cannot wait to get back to it. Some games I can start and play for a while then not touch again, others I will go back to and finish and quite find that I did enjoy it after all.

Games awaiting completion are Far Cry 3 each time I go back I am thinking this has had great reviews on and off forum, it's my type of game, why am I not enjoying it?

Crysis 3, have not even completed the beginning, now I loved 1 and 2 but.....

Bioshock Infinite I really think I am missing something here, I seen the ads I have read the reviews but I am wondering what is the point of this game. This may well be that it is very story driven whereas I prefer the story to be secondary to game-play.

MAX Payne 3 I knew I would not finish it within ten-twenty minutes and I was right, have never been back.

Rather than start another thread.

Re-playable value is also important and Tomb Raider very easy to complete every challenge on one play through so little point of a second go. Bioshock Infinite I think is also going that way as there does not seem much to collect or much in the way of challenges.

Perhaps it's an age thing (59) or expect to much from my games. I no longer even buy MOD/ Battlefield and others of this ilk, I am not a online gamer and to be quite honest each new SP game was little more than a rehash of the previous with a title change.

2. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

The original Bioshock; just couldn't enjoy it. I liked the idea and the style, I just couldn't enjoy the actual gameplay for some reason!

Aliens Vs Predator; looks shiny, has all the ingredients for a fantastic game but is so darned repetitive.

Mass Effect; didn't hook me the way I expected it to. I'm not a huge RPG fan, but I thought my love of sci-fi and space would help...it didn't.

3. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

I know what you mean. Ive loved gaming since i first got my Spectrum 128k back in 1987 i believe ..... And always used to stick games out until the end. I try these days simply because the graphics look pretty on the U2711 i have or what im not sure. As you say you play 20 minutes and you know your only going to play for a couple hours before you go back and play something that you always play anyway. And that's usually another game for a second even third time through. I got bored doing this quite some time back so i just stick to what i know keeps me entertained and enjoy. At the moment on my main rig i play CS GO and that's it ..... Big overclocked gaming machine for what .... CSGO. But we have to have the latest and greatest still.

My other passion is online Sim Racing which i have yet another entire gaming machine for solely for that purpose! Even i question my own intelligence as to why i need 2 PC's but still for me its a must have for the same reasons as many other people, we love building and tinkering PC's.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1786/img0102kd.jpg

I'm currently competing in a very big series over at Touring Pro Series in ( if anyone follows the British Touring Cars ) the series is sponsored by Tom Onslow Cole himself. 1st prize is a test drive in a real BTCC car, in fact its this years model of the Volkswagen Passat. It s huge prize and other stuff aswell such as VIP days at race tracks and driving rigs also.

There are no ends to these games/sims i use. Thats a really good thing about it, if you love it then keep doing it. :D

4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Battlefield 3. Didn't beat the singleplayer campaign until months after starting it, but not because it was super deep and rich! Instead, it was very bland and while pushing myself to play it the jet mission kept crashing. Bad enough that it was a rail-shooter type deal and not actually flying, worse when you repeat it four times and it keeps crashing at the same spot. So several months later after having reinstalled the game it finally works. More boring pressing on, some story thing that... I don't even know. It came to a point where I had to make some dramatic decision to shoot my commanding officer. Spoilers: it's not a decision, you fail if you don't shoot him. Pro tip: if the game glitches and you can't shoot you still fail. Extra tip: simply retrying from checkpoint won't fix it, you have to restart the mission. After that eye-rolling ordeal it was just a hop skip and a jump to the finish.

Took months to complete, only a few hours of actual playing. Story I only vaguely remember, characters I certainly don't remember. Except Hawkins! She has boobs, and playing her mission multiple times engrained her in my mind.

Assassin's Creed 2. I still haven't finished, actually. After enjoying the first this game was a quick purchase, and at first a lot of fun. But as time went on it got more and more repetetive. A great open world consisting of the same few things repeating themselves. I've tried multiple times to start back up again but at this point I don't know what's going on or why and the thought of restarting is simply daunting. It'll probably never get finished.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Everything bellow is on PC:

Just Cause 2 - Never played the one.. I saw the worlds most cheesy intro... and moon physics jump... I could not get myself to play it... waste of money. How did this game even got a higher rating than 40% is beyond me.

AS3 - Never played 1 and 2. I like the game... but the controls annoys me to a point that I don't want to play. I can never get how to fire a weapon. I always fighting the controls. Although, once I finish my University semester I'll try with the XBox 360 controller, or spend more time on the manual to get myself familiar with the control. The story is nice, I want to play it.

DeusEx - Cool game at first... I am out on the streets for the first time, and the game is super boring. I hope it gets fun afterwards... I'll push myself another time after my University semester finishes... but so far.. disappointed.

Costume Quest - Sorry Tim, that game was fun.. a bit too repetitive, but it's simple game, and inexpensive, and fun to watch.. so it's ok.. But it's really, really, but I mean really easy to override your saved game with a new game.. and I did... and now I don't want to replay it anymore to finish it.

Last edited: 4 Apr 2013
  6. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Assassins Creed 1+2. Just phenomenally awkward to control the character. Both games caused me to fustrationquit after the first 20 mins(which included the tutorial).

Just Cause 2. One of the few open world games where I just got bored, there was no aim or direction between missions and the world never captured my imagination.

GTA IV. Worst GTA ever. Dull as dishwater.

Skyrim, a surprise here, but even ever other "patch" causes CTDs on my game and the size of the game it's proving difficult for me to complete, even when I want to play it.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Me too - fantastic style and idea, but I just couldn't like it. I've tried 3 or 4 times, usually every time someone mentions it in a game review.

8. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I never completed Skyrim, because I managed to create a weapon with practically infinite damage which insta-killed everything. Unfortunately after than I lost spirit in the game, but I do hope to one day go back to it, when all the mods are in a complete state, and have another playthrough. I did exactly the same with Oblivion, and really enjoyed that, so I hope that Skyrim can also match my expectations.

I don't think I ever completed the Company of Heroes missions, at least not on one install. I always managed to get halfway through one of the story arcs before leaving it again. Awesome game though.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Oh yea it's true GTA 4. Wow, what a boring game. It's super fun at the beginning, but quickly wares out on you. Not more originality.

10. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

I've never finished Darksiders. I had a friend who kept saying it was fantastic but after 5-6 hours I just get run down on the same combos over and over. It's got good graphics, it has decent PC controls with M+K as well as some good voice work but the game itself was so simple.

Mass Effect 2 I've tried to beat at three different points in time so far and each time I just slowly lose interest at what's going on. It's too bad as well, I liked the first game and I liked how they opened up the crew more in ME2 but the gameplay and story overall felt substandard.

Final Fantasy 7 - *bows in shame* <--- Also I liked FF-13, I still never finished all the post game content with the extra battles but it's something I'd like to do in the near future and then really dig into FF-13-2.

Twilight Princess / Skyward Sword - I own them both and have never beaten the water temple in TP, I always get lost and can't figure out what to do. Skyward Sword was fun as well but it wasn't as interesting as TP was so I didn't ever really get into it beyond a few hours. I do want to beat them both at some point.

FEAR3 - I beat it but it was so unsatisfying, it really hurt to finish that game. I liked both 1 and 2 for different reasons but I thought they were both great fps/horror games. 3 Felt like a weird fan fiction of the first two games plus they threw in co-op. The co-op was pretty well done I thought, it had some fun mechanics for the player who was the dead brother but the tone of the game really became almost comical even during single player due to your brothers fairly constant talking.

As for what you say about replay value, with Bioshock Infinite, I beat that game on hard mode two days ago and there really isn't too much of a reason to go back because in one playthrough it is easy to nab nearly everything beyond a few secret stashes or maybe trying out different upgrades. That's not to say the game is boring the second time through, the game is still very well made and isn't terribly pushy with the pace so it doesn't feel like a on rails game even if it sorta is. 1999 Mode is always there if you really want to be brutal and get everything but I don't know if I'm even going to give that a go until they patch the game a bit, it slogs a bit even on my PC.

11. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Reminded me that I never finished the COH expansions, only the original missions. Got engrossed in massive LAN battles with my housemates.

I agree with out here. I took my time with the first run through and absorbed the atmosphere, did all the little side quests and stuff such that there wasn't really much to do but rush through the game when I got round to the 1999 playthrough. I'm not encountering the slow downs you have though, it's fairly smooth even at 1600p with a 1GB GTX460.

I got about halfway through the game before uninstalling it. SA and Vice city looks much more vibrant as well, the city in GTAIV had the ever popular dirty grey and gritty look. I much preferred Sleeping Dogs, which was more like what I expected a GTA game to be like.

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Assassins Creed - Any of them. The controls have gotten better, but I just run out of steam mid-way through. Don't know why, they just don't hold my interest.

Far Cry - Again, any of them. I got frustrated with how I died so easily, so early, and couldn't be bothered to learn the games' foibles and how the developer wanted me to play.

Skyrim - Played for about 4 hours, found it as dull as ditchwater. Actually, this goes for all the Oblivion games. Oddly, I love Fallout 3/New Vegas.

There are other games I'm halfway through, but fully intend to complete one day!

13. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I at first loved Deus Ex HR... But after discovering the illusion of choice I stopped. Lost interest. The first is my favourite game ever, so disappointing for sure.

Loved Mass Effect despite how sparse the game was so was excited to try the second. But the second was too action cameo flick to me, so stopped.

14. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Dead Space. I have never completed the first and still have a sealed copy of DS2 that I haven't even thought of opening. Nothing wrong with the game just never gripped me.

Alan Wake. Bought on release for 360 and still sitting around with me about 3-4 chapters in. I may try and finish this at some point but always find something more interesting to do, like scraping a fork down a blackboard ;)

Mass Effect 3. Loved Mass Effect (so much so I played through it 3-4 times) and persisted through ME2 but for the love of god can't finish the third one. Probably spent more time on co-op than the story :(

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Assasins Creed, Just Cause 2 and too many more due to not getting to grips with the controls, somehow 3rd person action games + keyboard + mouse + my brain = big mess and frustration.

16. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

about 90% of my games collection.

17. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I have a fair list of games that I've tried to push my way through but have found it difficult to even force myself to continue... there are a few in particular that took the lack of enjoyment to a whole new level for me though:

Halo - Failed to enjoy it even for a short one hour of mindless shooting. I'm sure it's great for fans of the series, but I can't seem to get into it.
    Portal - It just felt pointless the entire way through so I just stopped playing.
    Amnesia - I literally fell asleep playing this game, I took that as a clear sign to never look at it again.
    Fallout: New Vegas - It just got boring as the game went on.
    Team Fortress - I'll be honest, I've never attempted to play it for even a minute... I can tell just by looking at it that it's not a game for me.
    Dungeon Siege 3 - The first two games were fantastic, but this one shouldn't have been given the same title as it pulls the entire series down in my eyes.

Some other games in my 'unlikely to continue' list but weren't as bad as the above for me: Half-Life, The Witcher, Call of Duty, Sniper Ghost Warrior, Braid, Borderlands, Prototype, AvP Games.

18. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Game I never completed due to sheer boredom -

Halo: Comabt Evolved - XBox/PC
    Elder Scrolls: Morrowind - PC
    Elder Scrolls: Oblivion - Xbox
    GTA IV - Xbox
    Crysis - PC
    Assassins Creed - Xbox
    Assassins Creed II - Xbox
    Prince of Persia 2008 - Xbox [did actually finish it but it was so ball crushingly tedious it is on this list]
    Unreal Tournament 3 - PC
    Red Faction: Guerilla - PC
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - PC
    Battlefield 3 - PC

19. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Bioshock 2

Loved the first one, and just finished Infinite and loved that, 2 just seemed dreary and boring.

20. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Bioshock 2 was such a let down after the original. Haven't quite finished Infinite yet to comment on that one!