1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Embedded Linux Goes Open Source

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 21 Nov 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Nov 2007
  2. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

In principle its a great idea, but I don't know what its use would be aside from "I'm just going out but i need to check on...". IMO, people will want a proper media player, with the option of recording if the computer is connected to TV broadcasts, which would also mean that if you did decide you wanted to do some proper stuff on the computer you wouldn't have to reboot.

If you look at the sleep feature which is the default option on Vista which allows booting from and off state (though not actually off) in about 10s, then I can't really see this going anywhere fast.

On the other hand, anything then gets Linux more into everyday life and away from "Enthusiasts" etc is good, though at this stage that looks unlikely (price).

3. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Would be nice for use ina a vehicle, I always thought it'd be neat to have a PC in the car but aside from power issues boot time worrying about harddrives + vibrations always made me wonder.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the more open source the better.

5. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Sounds like and interesting idea and I hope it works out - but if past history is any guide...

LinuxBIOS anyone?

Quoted for Truth (though I'm sure my Vista machine comes out of sleep in quite a bit less than 10 seconds)

6. DLoney

DLoney What's a Dremel?

too bad microsoft cant build a WMC app for this. Being able to boot straight into the Windows Media Center without having to load windows first would be great.

7. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I think what would be wonderful (though I have no idea how it could be done) is to have a simple (possibly Linux based) OS that started up instantly, whilst in the background your main OS started up. Then you could just switch over. The problem would be if you had started a conversation in Skype, it would be hard to migrate it over.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Virtualisation Cheesecake!

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

The custom distro Asus have done for their mini laptop, is that available any where? I think that would be more interesting than this tbh.

10. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

This one for those that havnt seen it

to me it looks like a clever more full version of PPC made in Linux which is a fantstic thing and i might very well buy the next version of the product

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

PPC? Sorry googling that mostly brings up powerPC ports.

12. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Well, MythTV runs under Linux. If you could get the frontend running within this system, you'd have an instant-on Media PC (Well, you'd have to have a backend elsewhere on the network, but that's not too much hassle).

13. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Sounds like a pretty cool idea to me ... aslong as the Flash drive is big enough

then again, Debian, Mythtv, X and some kind of display manger is gonna be pretty small

14. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

I can see this being very big in the enthusiast market. Imagine upon a drive failure, having recovery tools right in the embedded Linux?

Tags: Add Tags