1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News LSI boosts SSD capacities with over-provisioning change

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 27 Feb 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. alialias

alialias What's a Dremel?

This seems a bit silly, really. When someone buys a SSD, they do it for the performance, not the capacity, so i'd be surprised if anyone was gonna sacrifice that extra zoom for a couple of GB when they most likely have a Hard Disk anyway.

3. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

Well if you have a 60 GB SSD then 4 extra GB could matter. That amount of extra storage is good enough for more than a few programs.
    Personally I consider it a good trade off.

4. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

If the performance hit is barely noticable, then I'd want the extra capacity even at the expense of longevity. I am not likely to end up running in to NAND flash longevity issues. Heck, I have a 60GB Vertex as my boot disk (granted my page file is on my 500GB 7200rpm disk) and I think I am around 85-90% life left on the disk the last time I checked a few months ago. That is with about 3 years of use out of the thing as of June.

5. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

I'm with Alialias. I'll only buy one of the 'new' drives if there is a way/utility/driver that I can use that would reinstate the over-provisioning. The over-provisioning + a DRAM cache would just be an extra speedy bonus to me as I'd still use a small HDD for pagefile and mass storage.

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Yup, just leave some of the SSD unformatted. Personally, I leave about 28% unformatted (including the provisioned space).

JBond and Apophis54 like this.
  7. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

I'm still holding off 'till the price comes down and the technology settles a bit more... Would be miffed if I had to re-format my hard drive every month when new software comes out.

Tags: Add Tags