1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware SilverStone Sugo SG10 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 8 Jul 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

3. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Cheers, fixed :)

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Well, it's prettier that the SG09, but I don't think it's worth the extra money for just a bit of bent mesh.

Still amazed at the HDD mounts behind the CPU area, and lack of airflow back there.

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Yes, there's a lack of airflow, but SSDs need minimal, if any, cooling and HDDs are designed to run at reasonably high temps (40°C-50°C) without any serious increase in failure rates outside of 3-years.

Check out Google's nifty study. It's from way back in 2007, but still relevant. http://static.googleusercontent.com...arch.google.com/en//archive/disk_failures.pdf

6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Hey BT. I am really interested in this case. So thanks for the review. Just one thing, you say the optical drive is external in the feature list at the bottom of page 1. Surely it is an internal drive?

Also, is there any way to find out how the use of an AIO CPU cooler such as the H80i impacts on airflow and then cooling of the system as a whole? Does it restrict the airflow out of the rear fan and then cause the interior to heat up a little more or does it enable the top fan to cool more effectively as the heat from the CPU isn't transferred to the air inside the case? Or does it make no real difference?

7. SchizoFrog

*cough, cough* 'inside' of 3 years Baz. ;)

8. Dogbert666

Hi SchizoFrog. By external it only means that you can access the drive externally (i.e. by putting your discs in and out!), but yes the drive itself is still contained internally.

I'd love to help you out on the AIO thing with a proper confirmation, but I won't have time to rebuild everything with the H80i in place just to rerun the tests, sorry. That said, with an AIO cooler drawing heat away from the CPU, I can't see why there'd be an issue. The Air Penetrator fan really is quite good, and with the coverage it provides there should still be ample airflow for the VRMs and memory, and the limited airflow that does find its way to the HDDs and SSDs will be unaffected. The only issue could be the GPU, although the air from the top fan is directed at its backplate anyway - provided the front 120mm remains mostly unobstructed and you have even a half decent GPU cooler fitted, there shouldn't be any issues :)

9. SchizoFrog

Thanks Dogbert666. It seems rather counter intuitive to have an intake fan blowing downwards at the back of the system, directly in front the rear exhaust fan, surely most of the air would be sucked straight back out of the case?
    That said, maybe I shouldn't worry about the seeming logic of it and just rely on the cooling figures.

10. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Does it allow triple slot GPU cooling?

11. Dogbert666

No worries. I agree it does seem rather counter intuitive, but equally the main components the fan is designed to cool should still have plenty of concentrated airflow around them.

Naturally this is all speculation, but I personally can't see any glaring reasons why such a set-up wouldn't work out.

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yes, but a HDD behind the CPU area with no airflow can reach and exceed 50 degrees in minutes.

13. Dogbert666

Yep! Four expansion slots in total.

14. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Doh what a tremendous brain fart that was :D I thought it was ITX.

Derp de derp derp :D

Mind you, in defence of my derpness it is very small :D

15. Dogbert666

Haha. When I first the SG09 before this one I thought it was an ITX case too!

16. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

The fact it has no usb 2.0 ports makes this very compelling.

17. Xir

Xir Modder

Yes, why use the PSU to remove warm air for free? Just because they're designed for it?
    Pfwah, humbug.

18. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

If you've got the option, though, there is something to be said for letting the PSU breathe fresh air. With as many fan mounts as this has, I think I'd just as soon let the PSU breathe free and let all the dedicated fans handle the hot air inside the case.

19. SchizoFrog

Using the PSU to exhaust air from the case would affect airflow as the heat would be pulled in two directions, towards the front by the PSU and towards the rear by the rear fan while also being pushed back down in to the case by the large fan in the roof. This would surely cause dead air spots of whirling hot air and would suffocate components.

20. Xir

Xir Modder

Hmmm, the case has a lot of mesh on the lower side and botton, wouldn't fresh air draw in there if you have more exhaust?

Tags: Add Tags