1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals new keyboard - splash proof !

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gosh, 24 Aug 2013.

1. gosh

gosh Minimodder

get your giggles out the way first but i am looking for a keyboard with a strong resistance/immunity to being splashed with sticky liquids.

in all seriousness, i have written off a reclusia, a curve 2k and just yesterday some logitech media keyboard (all plastic sheet 'boards) this year through booze spillages and i am hoping for a recommendation for something that is either sealed or can be washed out.

willing to spend a lil more if it lasts longer but i was aiming to spend less than £40 (depends on reliability, want something that can last), i know mechanical keyboards are in vogue but are they resistant to spills and can they be washed ? the purpose is gaming and backlights would be a large plus but i am not looking for some expensive million-extra-buttons malarky, if anything a smaller footprint 'board would be better.

cheers in advance of any responses.

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

4. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

My housemate is using this:
    http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/washable-keyboard-k310?crid=26

He's quite happy with it since it survived some beer while three other keyboards didn't (and one of them was a mechanical). But then, he hasn't been bothered to clean them and stuff.

I saw him wash it in the shower and it appears to still work fine.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

You could always try using neverwet

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Many moons ago I used to pull the keys off a keyboard bung them in a pillow case in the washing machine,came out lovely and clean. As for the main part in a sink of hot soapy water given a scrub with a paint brush and allowed to thoroughly dry in the hot water tank cupboard. Never had any problems.

but a washable KB sound so much better.

7. gosh

gosh Minimodder

cheers for replies, anyone know if a mechanical would bear up better after a spill than a plastic membrane ? obviously the keys would gum up unless washed but the problem i seem to be having is the traces on the plastic stop working so nothing i can do to fix it.

8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Mechanicals getting wet while plugged in usually are total destruction often killing the controller chip, much like a motherboard it is not good to get wet at all. Personally I would simply suggest keeping your drinks away from your computer desk. Barring that, perhaps look into sippy cups.

The_Crapman likes this.
  9. gosh

gosh Minimodder

cheers that was what i was after, if mechanicals are as prone or even worse to failure when flooded with cheap cider maybe i'll just grab a cheaper multimedia keyboard and bolt a cup holder to the side of my desk :S

10. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

[​IMG]

Solved

Edit .. didn't see the sippy cup post LOL