1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Beginners apple g5 mod. Accepting thoughts and ideas

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ubernewb, 9 Oct 2014.

1. Ubernewb

Ubernewb What's a Dremel?

This is my first mod. So, itll be a tad messy. For now I'm more discussing my ideas. I'll have pictures and such posted later. I'm not home at the moment.

Anyways, my current thought is the cpu cover that had G5 on it (the one with G5 smaller on top and bottom not the big centered one). I have 2 ideas. One involves cutting out the top one and replacing it with clear acrylic or green tinted letters that say Converted and the bottom will be cut out and say G5. The result "Converted G5". This would then be emphasized by purple uv Led.
    Or
    Utilize my arduino knowledge and also cut out both. But, instead of a specific message setup put an led matrix in place and give me the option of various messages.

To know more about my goals until I upload photos. My color scheme. The front and back will be a dark blue. The entire case will have the edges a green highlight. The sides and top will be black. The Apple logos will be green.
    The interior will primarily be green with purple and purple uv lights.

I've cutout a window for the door panel. I've also taken to cutting out the other side panel from the top and bottom handle mounts. I'll be attempting to either just attach or somehow expand that side outward slightly to gain cable management.

I do not have access to laser cutting. Only plasma (a friend) and my dremel. So, things won't be super precise. In the end I'm hoping things look at least clean and sharp.

I'm using rustoleum (spelling) primer and paint spray paint.
    With a green paint of another brand since they didn't have green.

Note: once this one is complete I'll be considering ideas for future mods. As I have 4 of these cases.

2. Ubernewb

I am using epoxy for the back plate. It will easily do the job. The back plate is turning out quite nice. Just need to have the fan part cut and that is something I'm a bit worried on given plasma is a bit messy.

3. Ubernewb

I'm considering also modifying the Liquid cooling unit that was in this one. I've tested the pump and it works. Though I am not sure just how good the pump is and if the radiator would be considered good. I'd assume given it's weight and it was used in a server system.

Has anyone attempted this yet?

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

If I remember correctly, the pump is a custom Liang DDC, and the radiators were aluminum. You might want to change to a copper one. It would keep the aluminum from mucking up a mixed metal loop, and give you more options on placement and cooling capacity. I don't think the original rad could handle a modern chip and a gpu, for example.

5. Ubernewb

Update
    Still haven't taken photos. Working on the basics and being broke makes this project take a while. Plus, I bought a 970 recently instead of some tools >.>

Anyways, I did finish the backplate. It'll need some touch-up (following my other post about epoxy). The guy I had to do the plasma cutting wasn't too clean with it and some parts have awkward cuts. I tried to use a jigsaw to help even things out. But, I'll definitely need epoxy to fill in some gaps. Then an epoxy for attaching it since JB weld doesn't seem like it'll fare well given other people's posts and it does not have sufficient contact at the base. I might have to use 2 rivets down there.

More on my official plans now. I did cut out the other panel. So, I'll be making a support beam for the motherboard tray which will also be attached to the upper shelf.
    Then I'll be bringing this side out about 1/2 - 1 1/2" I haven't yet decided exactly how far out it'll go. But, I do know that the space in which I bring it out will have perforated metal surrounding it to match the case. Attaching this panel will be done by using small beams that will set at the sides and top or base The base/top beam will be a latching. While the sides will just be for mounting the panel. So, I unlatch and slide up on the panel to remove it.

6. Ubernewb

I'm curious what you guys typically do for door mounting to a case.
    I'm trying to make a custom keyhole type mount. But, if there is already something out there I'd love to know!

7. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Door mounting? If you mean a hinged door that opens, most modders avoid it. They're annoying to install and they can get in the way when you're trying to work on the internals when swapping something out or cable routing etc.

8. Ubernewb

Not hinged. a keyhole mount basically [​IMG]

Cut the top off of that this allows easy sliding of a screw into that slot. My idea is to have 4 of those on the panel and then have the screws sliding down into the holes where the Torx screws were. This should make it easier to match the point where the screw will slide to.
    I'm still looking for some that have a bit more surface area so I can epoxy them to the case. But, I was curious if anyone had an alternative. These would from what I can tell other than making something entirely be the easiest way to mount a removable panel.

Edit: I also realized the patterns I downloaded for cutting my fans mounting holes were wrong. So, would epoxy be able to hold versus the vibrating from the fans? Because some of them are off by a very small amount and would require filling part of the hole.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2014