1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Culture secretary calls for quicker rollout of cable broadband

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 15 Sep 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

UK has already fallen behind. We've got some catching up to do!

3. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Agreed
    This is all a bit late and a bit predictable, businesses blaming each other for creating the hold ups and MP's bitching about it.

4. derpooch

derpooch What's a Dremel?

I'm getting my 30MB fibre installed on Saturday, so I will finally have a decent connection, can't wait for my Steam collection to finally be downloaded! I think that the UK seriously needs to step up the game with broadband, we're falling behind, as with seemingly everything... Since it was mentioned, I can't wait for the 4G roll-out, hopefully more widespread than 3G (and I really hope that LTE phones can finally have some battery life when we get them!)

5. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

'We need to ensure we do not make the same mistake in broadband that we made in railways,' said Hunt, 'building our high-speed network 45 years after the French and 62 years after the Japanese'

In terms of internet technology we are already the equivalent of 60 years behind Japan, South Korea and parts of Scandinavia. We can't hope to keep up but I guess we can be ambitious and hope that we can at least be moving forward.

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I'm happy at the moment on my 100mb connection.

But considering all the restriction's placed on the connection's at the moment by all the ISP's what is the point really in having anything more than 100mb.

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Blimey, Rutland to get fibre optic BB?

8. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

mobile network providers need to setup more network masks (o2 seem to be the only network doing that, they setup tall pole network towers with the 3-8 antenna's in them, I drive past loads every day most are o2)

fttc needs rolling out in bigger citys not just places with less the 3000 houses (forget cable they never expand any more they never go onto new housing estates where its needed, like Boston Boston boulevard warrington lucky if you get 1mbps broadband with bt and there is no plans for fttc yet )

9. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Broadband is slow to upgrade due to the hassle of digging up and replacing lines. Its also costly due to the amount of time and man hours sunk into digging, planning and actually carrying out the upgrade. The lines need upgraded but it would be far better focusing on mobile broadband, keeping cost per MB down for the end user while improving coverage and speed to hit their targets. Surely it would be cheaper and easier to improve coverage that way and upgrade to fibre over a longer period of time. If the government took control of cell sites and leased them it could recover costs to upgrade the fiber network too.
    The other side is it would help if BT didn't focus on areas already covered by virgin's high speed network (excluding inner cities ofc). A bit of co-ordination would go a long way.

10. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well I can assure you now cable do go in to new houses aslong as the site owner allow's them to.

If you are in Warrington Cheshire the Ambulance Station near Howley there is new houses being built there and they are getting cable, same as the new houses being built in where Greenal's Brewery was they are also getting cable.

Fibre to the curb is not needed the coax cable that is used by some cable provider's can do 2gb on it before they need to think about using Fibre to the house.

11. BlodadTand

BlodadTand What's a Dremel?

Hope it reaches me on the border.

12. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

Faster broadband is great and everything but not when ISPs cap the hell out of you for downloading relatively little.

13. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

fiber to the cab (not curb) your thinking of fttp (goes to the house)

also its not some its all Vm cable is coax only never fiber (vm is fttc with coax never fiber the shops are still lying that the fiber comes to the house , bt's fttc but with phone cable so max is around 40-100mb avg been 30mbps in most cases not many will ever see fttp on bt)

just wish bt would role out fttc to bad areas first with poor 0.5-2mb or lower speeds

14. Astatine

Astatine What's a Dremel?

@javaman

Having only BT or Virgin in each area would only be any good if Virgin wasn't a monopoly.

With Virgin, there's no wholesale service, no resellers with alternative deals and setups. You get their service or nothing. And their service comes with built-in censorship and the worst customer support in the world. (SIX WEEKS to fix my connection last time it broke, and they only found the fault after I cancelled my contract and moved to DSL!)

Virgin needs to be forced to provide wholesale access. Ideally, broken into two companies, like Openreach vs. BT Broadband. That's something that an MP concerned with this country's broadband competitiveness could usefully legislate!

15. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

3G is a joke. You can hardly get it anywhere.

16. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

You do realise why BT was forced to allow other companies on to it's network don't you?

If you don't I will inform you, it's because there network was created with goverment money compare to Nynex when it 1st started was not goverment money.

You can also get a reseller of Virgin broadband but on business so you find someone who will charge you less than they pay Virgin for the connection.

Have you ever heard of a company called Fujitsu they are about to trial Fibre to the home but I can't say where and let me tell you now, it's at a faster speed than anyone is currently offering to houses in the UK!!!

17. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

It appears BT are only interested in updating exchanges where there is already high speed broadband or virgin cable service. This is the real problem, they neglect/ignore areas that have lesser broadband in favour of trying to compete with Virgin.

Maybe the government should make both companies expand into area's that are not already serviced by high speed broadband. Then the rest of the country should/would catch up.

18. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

+1.

You would think being a 1st world country we'd all have it standard by now, a friend of mine hassled the council and BT about his 800kbs download speed, they installed a fibre optic line to his house. He was (Like me) pissed off at due to the slow upgrade speed BT and the council are at rolling out fibre optic lines.

My town is to be the first in my county to get Fibre Optic installed, not until March 2012. Knowing BT theyll find some **** excuse to delay it somehow-_-.

19. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

My local exchange is FTTC infinity enabled and the new distinctive cabinets have sprung up around the area, alas, there isn't one at the end of my street . I did phone BT on an unrelated matter and they intimated availability was based on registered interest in any given area and that the old cabinet would remain at least until 2012, though why they can't give an approx time scale is beyond me.

20. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I have FTTC.

Youtube still plays video in five second bursts.

Gah.

Tags: Add Tags