1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Upgrading from a CRT Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MaD_ColiN, 3 Jun 2011.

1. MaD_ColiN

MaD_ColiN What's a Dremel?

Hi folks,

Really after some advice as to what I should be looking at as far as upgrades to a CRT. I have a really old Ilyama 19" and its just very bulky, and I would like to transition to a LCD. I mainly use my PC for playing games and browsing the internet. I've looked over the topics here and generally the Dell U2410 seems to be one that everyone is raving about.

Is it worth considering it, or as its being phased out, albeit for inferior models, is it worth buying one before it disappears, or getting another brand?

Probabaly could sink £600 if it was worth having.

Need some help really.

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Inb4 Goodbytes :D

Yeah, definitely worth getting the U2410 before they're phased out. Especially since you're coming from a CRT.

As Goodbytes will no doubt say when he sees this thread, the newer models probably aren't going to be any where near as good. And there won't be any 16:10 ratios (1920x1200 for the U2410). For playing games and things the added bit of resolution, for some people, can make a lot of difference.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The U2410 is a fantastic monitor. I got 2.. and not for a dual screen setup.. for my 2 computers (second for my computer at my father place.. which my father uses as well, when I am away).

I would definitely get it, before 16:10 disappears, and that it goes backward using LED technology, as manufacture wants to use the same panel for the TV's and computer monitors. I highly doubt that the new generation of monitor would be better. At BEST (for some reason) it might be the same, but 16:9 (because LG doesn't produce or will stop producing 16:10 panels).

The monitor looks sleek and professional, so I again doubt it that you would be disappointed when the newer comes out. So far I have been disappointing in Dell new laptops and desktop refresh. They cut on quality everywhere, even on the super high end business series. No more OS disk, no more nice slim and compact PSU.. now it's this HUGE brick, that looks like those 230W laptop PSU but only 90W, with no cable wrapping, like those 200$ laptop, cheap keyboard, bad layout, and well all looks the same... they all look like a 1998 Dell Inspiron. So yea, I my expectations are quiet low for the next monitor.

And even if they come with RGB back light and uniform back light somehow... It's useless for you, as you are not a professional that need pin point color accuracy edge to edge.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2011
  4. MaD_ColiN

MaD_ColiN What's a Dremel?

Awesome, thats exactly the sort of recommendation I was looking for really. Plus if I was actually looking to do higher end graphical work or design, not having a specifically tailored monitor would be a bad idea anyway - Gaming doesnt warrent the extra expence.

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

You can't go wrong with the 2410. Get one while you can still get a 16:10 screen.

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

If you want to game then stay the hell away from LCD! At least if you play anything fast-paced like FPSs. I've recently "upgraded" from a CRT to one of the better TFT (LCD) monitors out there and now I can hit f**k all.

As far as I can tell it's input lag-related. All TFT monitors have input lag issues, which apparently are worsened by enabling vsync. The problem is, with vsync disabled images are even more unwatchable on a TFT than on a CRT.

I'm seriously considering going back to my CRT, even though I'd miss the text clarity and increased desktop space.

CAVEAT: I'm just typing this after once again having spent time playing CS:CZ without basically being able to hit *anything* at all.

7. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Are you for real?

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I certainly am.

I decided to finally ditch my CRT because I don't game as much as I used to. And the lure of a better screen for work was too strong. The problem is, now I can't game at all.

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Get a decent screen then, as I can game just fine. Hang on, your sig says 2209. You should have no problems gaming on that whatsoever.

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

If you care that much about fast-paced FPSes you should be buying a 120Hz monitor anyway, the only real replacement for a CRT in those circumstances. There is no real reason for still owning a CRT in this day and age.

Saying you can't game at all on a 60Hz LCD screen is just ludicrous, and one of the main types of games I play is fast-paced FPSes. Sure, it takes some getting used to after owning a 120Hz monitor, but I can live it it and it hardly makes the games unplayable.

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Well, that's the problem. I consider the 2209WA to be one of the better TFT monitors out there. In most tests it even bests the U2410 for gaming, but trust me on this: I can't game on it at all. At least not my favourite games (most of all CS:CZ, which I've played since 2001, well CS anyway). I can shoot at an enemy at point blank range and not even get a single registered hit. Didn't have that issue with my CRT. Of course, everyone has good days and bad days, but since the switch I've only had bad days.

As I wrote I believe it's a problem with input lag. Anandtech did some research into this 2 years ago. I believe they're on to something. A 120 Hz monitor might alleviate the situation, but I'll be damned if I ever touch a TN-based monitor, which is currently the only way to get a 120 Hz panel.

As for the original poster, what I'm trying to get across is: Make sure you're aware of all potential pitfalls when switching from CRT to TFT. Just because everyone says it works great doesn't mean it really is so. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the image clarity and the large desktop (not too fond of the IPS "sheen" and poor black levels, though), but for (FPS) gaming the monitor has turned out to be a dud. At least for me. Just coming from CRT and now having used the 2209WA for a couple of weeks should entitle me to an informed opinion.

Perhaps more console-oriented games fare better on TFTs? After all, they are usually made with flatscreens in mind.

As it stands I'm extremely frustrated...

12. GoodBytes

I think it's just you that is not good with the game, and you blame your hardware. And now you spreading false exaggerations. Even crazy hard core championship winners uses LCD screen during their competition.

After that story.. you probably go and blame your mouse and keyboard, and then on some computer performance, and I don't know what.

Oh what, THERE YOU ARE (NFSW)

Ok now you are excused.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2011
  13. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

But of course. For 10 years I have no problems, but the moment I switch from CRT to TFT I'm suddenly bad at the game.

Crazy hard core championship winners won't use TFTs unless they can't help it. FWIW, I don't consider myself hardcore in any way whatsoever.

14. GoodBytes

mmhmm, that is like Bill Gates saying "I don't consider myself rich in any way watchsoever". It has the same validity.

15. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I've really no idea what point you are trying to make.

16. GoodBytes

It means I don't believe you. You are a crazy hardcore gamer like no tomorrow, with reflexes faster than a humming bird wing movement speed as your life is around that game, but you are very modest :)

Your like the poker player that comes on a table and beat the whole table constituted of experts, and go "I only rarely play poker, I just started a few months ago".

Anyway, you are becoming defensive, clearly showing that it's you on the above video :p

(I am just fooling with you..)

17. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Shame on you for messing with a beleaguered old man... :p

18. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

lol I believe you az.. I still have a few crt's but don't fps game anymore- but it's the only way to fps game.. pros use crt's too (maybe they switched don't keep up with it anymore)

in cs (used to play that a lot back in the day before source) or quake.. get 2 guys who know how to play.. you put one on a crt and one on a lcd.. crt will win everytime.. also the native resolution has a lot to do with it.. crt you can run the lowest resolution full screen with no input lag- so the crosshair and people your aiming at are bigger

at lans the tourney gamers used to always do this.. jack up the brightness, lowest resolution possible, cvar tweaks out the yingyang

azrael- likes this.