1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading low flow pumps; concerned about flow of radiator

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by camelsnowman, 23 Apr 2017.

1. camelsnowman

camelsnowman What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I have an old liquid cooling setup with a leaky reservoir/pump assembly. I'm considering replacing the reservoir/pump with a D5 pump, however, I'm wondering if my radiator will put too much strain on a D5.

The system in question is a Koolance EXT-A01. (It's super old and has been running pretty well for the last 13+ years). The system has a sealed reservoir with 2 Koolance R-PMP01 pumps. If I understand correctly, one pump pushes coolant out of the res into the rad, and the other pulls coolant back into the res from the water blocks.

I'm wondering if the radiator is designed for a relatively low flow rate, and if pairing it with a higher flow pump would put too much resistance/strain on a new pump.

I haven't been able to find specs from manufacturers for the components in my system, but here are some reasons I suspect the system has a low flow rate:

1. The system came with tubing with a 6mm ID and uses 6mm tubing to connect the pumps to the rad;
    2. The rad has barbs for 6mm ID tubing (barbs cannot be removed from rad);
    3. The CPU block (EK-Supremacy Clean CSQ) contains about 1/4 - 1/3 air (visually observed) (this is after months of running and trying to bleed it out by tipping); I'm thinking the current pumps don't have a high enough flow rate to push all the air out of this block;
    4. This review: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases...d-Cooling-System-Review/Components-and-Design states the flow rate at 2L/min (the review is for an Exos 2, but the reservoir/pump configuration looks the same).

I have 2 water blocks:
    - CPU water block: EK-Supremacy Clean CSQ
    - GPU water block: EK-FC460 GTX - Acetal + Nickel

Ideally I'd like to add more quick disconnects so the motherboard and graphics card can be easily removed. I'm not sure how much they affect flow rate/pressure.

I like the idea of dual pumps, but my wallet does not :p Sooo, if I can get away with a single pump, I'd like to go that route.

I was wondering if anyone has thoughts/ideas on how a D5 might work in this scenario and I'd also like to hear other thoughts and ideas on this scenario.

Thanks for your time!

Additional information about my setup (not sure if it's relevant):
    - The Koolance unit (rad, reservoir, pumps) internally uses 6mm ID tubing and have what appear to be 6mm ID quick disconnects on the back (to connect to the computer);
    - I'm using 10/13mm tubing after those quick disconnects
    - There are 2 G1/4 quick disconnects with 10mm ID compression fittings going into my case
    - All the blocks use G1/4 10/13mm compression fittings

Last edited: 23 Apr 2017
  2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

3. camelsnowman

camelsnowman What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the tip, Vault-Tec! I hadn't thought to check out other pumps on ebay.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

If you put SC600 pump into Youtube you will find several videos of people using it :)