1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Router Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 18 Dec 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

After three attempts and two resets finally got the Synology DS115J up and running, woeful lack of instructions. Anyway in the top right corner I have the message: "We have detected that your Ethernet speed is 10/100mps only. it is recommended upgrading your router to at least 1Gbps".

I currently have the Netgear N300 what or even should I upgrade my router with. I would prefer Netgear as I have always found them reliable. Or do I need to bother?

Last edited: 18 Dec 2014
  2. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

No need to change the router, you can just get a Gigabit switch and run your wired network off that. One of the ports will go to the router to provide internet access to the network.

They're very cheap, so worth doing IMO if you're going to move large files around the network.

3. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

OK guys being the idiot that I am where would this go on my system. I already have a switch or hub near my PCs whilst the router is in the living room next to the main phone socket.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

You'll need to connect it like this: (the BiPAC is the switch)

[​IMG]

Basically your PC connects and NAS connect via gigabit switch. That's more or less how mine is set up. I use the same TP link switches, blue metal ones.

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Cheers Wuyan, that is nice and simple just buy a new one and put it in the same position as my current one. Thanks.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder