1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inside the Home of Chrome

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 19 Apr 2006.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

Its great to see more girls coming into the gaming section of stuff. I would love to see how good they are. They are some nice cases aswell.

3. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

It must suck playing cool games but with S3 Gfx.

4. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

I take it they play at 800x600 because of the S3 graphics? sureley they could have found something better! :wallbash:

5. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

Yeah. Geeky girls :D ;)
    Great job by GoTaLL :thumb:

6. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

hey they actualy look like serious gamers instead of just PR ploys :D (notice there competing in mixed comps)

the graphics kind of suck but as VIA bought s3 I doubt that their going to be putting any ATI/NVIDIA cards in.

7. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

IF thats true then why didnt they use Via processors. (Gaming plus Via Processor HARHAR). You are probally right though this is there attempt to market S3 which sucks for the girls but hey. IF i read the article right though (whcih i probally didnt) it said something about using the low resolution on purpose. Either way i still wouldnt buy s3 stuff maybe for onboard if i had to but the cards just suck compared to others.

8. Soncetina

Soncetina What's a Dremel?

they used low res on purpose, "alot of pro gamers do" they must be progamers, if they were marketing ploys they would be hot....... im sure they have lovely personalities tho

9. korhojoa

korhojoa durr

Good choice of women, bad choice of graphics card manufacturer.
    Anyway, I applaud them for getting themselves on Bit-Tech.

10. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

As was mentioned in the article, professional gamers play at lower resolutions for various reasons.

1. Larger heads, arms, hands, torso for more accurate shot placement
    2. Speedier graphics regardless of what GPU you're running. Lower res = lower textures = faster
    3. The whole screen composition and FOV is slgihtly different at lower resolutions. If you've ever played a game compeditively, the whole thing feels speed up, quicker, and more on toe at a lower resolution.

and personally, I don't think they're bad looking. I'm glad to see female gamers out there doing their thing without pinup galleries and bikini contests plastered all over their site. Not that theres anything wrong with that, if thats how some girls want to express themselves.

Girl-gaming has been garnering a lot of attention lately. This article had a very personal and "real" feel to it due to the pictures and down to earth perspective. I've seen a lot of articles where the girls are almost portrayed in a celebrity spotlight of sorts where you think to yourself "is this how they really are 24/7? Or is this set up for publicity and public image?" Never once had that question through this article.. it is what it is.. they're girls who enjoy gaming, and this is their house.

Good job, I enjoyed the article.

11. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

Nice article, good to see female gamers getting more press. Also good to see New Zealand gamers on the world stage in gaming (yep, im from NZ :D ).

12. GoTaLL

GoTaLL What's a Dremel?

can only agre to what you just said .. and they are really nice girls ..

13. The_Pope

Thanks man - glad you enjoyed it. As for the VIA / S3 bashers - grow up. Do you think they don't know that a GeForce 7900 GTX is faster? The S27 is "fast enough" without costing an arm + leg, and runs cool & quiet. In contrast, I couldn't even imagine that training area with four X1900 leafblowers - the pair we have in the labs are loud enough as it is!

If necessary, I'll get one of the girlz to drop by here and explain the 8x6 theory.

Without the sponsorship from VIA, this training house wouldn't be there. We need more stuff like this, like NVIDIA's sponsorship of ESWC etc. For example, did you know that in South Korea they have not one but TWO 24-hour TV channels dedicated to gaming?

14. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

I can understand what your saying but saying via is like saying integrated gfx. And the average gamer wants the nice looking graphics instead of quake 2 style. I wouldnt mind a review of one of those cards here to see what they compare to. Put them up against some other passive cooled gfx cards.

15. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Are you sure it's a good idea to have the ladies explain low res gaming?

While i have no doubt that it'll be professional, to the point, and accurate, there's one issue. Anybody remember Maximum PC's nurse? There'll be more "Hey hottie" PMs than you can shake a stick at.

16. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

great article. I must live in a black hole cuz I didn't know girl gamers existed!
    haha
    I liked those cases. Not too flashy, nicely done especially for thier purpose. Of course I love cooler master cases as I'm using two stackers in my mod. I definately agree with GoTall that they are very well constructed cases.

As for the S3, hey at least intel didn't sponsor it. They'd be using intel integrated!
    buahahahahahahahahaha

17. The_Pope

Got a link on HardOCP today:

Crazy Kyle

Lazarus_Dark: you say that, but TooGoood, the top UK Quake 4 player, IS sponsored by Intel :p

18. Ms.X

Ms.X What's a Dremel?

Hi guys :)

I just wanted to clear up a few things regarding the s3 cards and why we do play on low graphic settings. I have had the top of the line gfx cards before, and I still played with my game visuals looking crap. Most of the gamers I know do as well, mainly because the visuals are low priority for us, but the FPS is crucial. A lot of cards out there cannot run Q4 at a steady 60 FPS which is maxed out.

At the price the S27 Chrome card sells for, I honestly never thought they would be able to handle the high demands of a new game like Quake 4. Myself, the girls, and other gamers that visit the house have all been pleasantly suprised with the capabilities of this card. Sure it's not the latest ATI or Nvidia, who are big names but...there's a lot of people out there who can't spend $5-600 on a card so I find this to be a great alternative. I am really happy to be using this card due to it's super quiet fan and getting my steady 60 FPS (Both the 128 and 256MB provide this.) I hope this helps clear up why we play on low settings, I personally find it much easier to see on the map when it's looking more blurry than detailed :p

19. The_Pope

Thanks for clearing that up, Alana. Seriously guys - not only do all the pro gamers do this, regardless of their GPU, but they have been doing it since the days of Quake 2 pro gaming.

In a way, it's a bit sad to see Quake 4 looking like Quake 2 but when your ability to pay the rent** or buy food rides on your tournament prize money, you take any angle you can get.

**ok, so in this case, VIA pays the rent, but I meant pro gamers in general.

Think about it this way - does a Touring Car / NASCAR driver keep the leather interior, air con and CD player in his race car? No. He strips it out to the bear metal so it looks like something welded together in someone's back yard, because there's a gain for doing so.

That's the best comparison I can think of.

On a semi-related note, I wanted to ask Ms.X whether the decision to play at 800x600 dictate the CRT monitors, since an LCD would scale horribly. Or is there another reason to still avoid LCD monitors these days ie response time?

20. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

Gotta be scaling, 800x600 just isn't good on an LCD, even with 4x AA.

I play CS:Source competitively (won Cevo-A CSS, etc), and alot of people do run on lower settings in this and many other games. Myself I run it at 1280x1024 with all the bells and whistles and it doesn't stop me from doing good, but I understand completly with the low res settings too.

Tags: Add Tags