1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Best av software for £30-£35

Discussion in 'Software' started by cookie! nom nom, 21 May 2015.

1. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Minimodder

Hello I am interested to see what members advise for this budget, as the research i have done seem to have mixed results :( We are currently running avast free (2014?-2015?)It has been doing a fantastic Job. But my mother has started doing a lot of online banking and other important private work such as this. She has said that she would like to try and get the best security for this price range. What do you guys advise getting? go for avast paid?

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

How many times has avast detected a virus etc? What are you're reasons for avast free not being up to the job anymore?

If the computer users are sensible, and don't click on any dodgy links, or open unknown attachments in emails and don't visit any really dodgy websites, then I really don't see any point in paying for an AV when a free one has been doing fine.

4. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Minimodder

Thats what i said... But she dose like to panic :wallbash: Plus having a sister that enjoys clicking on Facebook links that interest her :grr: made my mum want to get that little bit more.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

When I look at paid anti-virus you generally seem to get nothing but gimmicky add-ons for your money. So if she insists on spending money make sure you look at what she will get. Also the core anti-virus element is still going to be pretty much the same as the free version of what you decide on so make sure it performs well in anti-virus benchmarks.

If the majority of her private stuff can be done online the best security is probably booting into a non persistent Linux image, such as puppy Linux. But its really unlikely she'd do that.

6. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Well, you can get paid for Avast on offer occasionally I think I paid £9 for it. I have always used the free version, which imo is more than up to the job. As others have said paid for AV just gives you fluff and in the case of the paid Avast that is SafeZone (amounst other things that I doubt your Mum will ever use) for all your tinternet banking and the like.
    Whether there is a real advantage to that, who knows, I doubt it.
    CCleaner, Avast, Malwarebytes and some common sense are really all you need.

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Sophos is pretty decent.

Id use that if I HAD to pay for one.

8. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

ESET. Just renewed my 15 licenses.
    UK Support aswell and will even help you to clean up your PC before you put it on after others like Kaspersky let you get infected xD