1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Another sleep issue

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by CrapBag, 13 Dec 2014.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I recently reinstalled my pc due to network issues that were dragging everything down to a crawl.

After doing this everything seemed to be fine but now my pc refuses to remain in sleep.

I had this a while back with my mini itx pc and it seemed to resolve itself but everything I have tried with my main pc hasn't worked.

I select sleep, it goes to sleep but just mere seconds later its firing back up again.

I've disabled any wake up events in windows and I haven't changed anything in the bios so why is it doing this?

Is it paranoia to think that someone is constantly hacking my network causing my pc to come back to life?

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Go into Device Manager and select 'Mice and other pointing devices', double click on the entry for your Mouse to open up the Properties and select the Power management tab. Remove the tick from 'Allow this device to wake the computer'. You might also need to do this with the Keyboard.

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'll try that but I've always used the mouse to bring it out of sleep.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Try opening an elevated command prompt and typing "powercfg -LASTWAKE"
    This should report information about what woke the system from the last sleep transition.

phuzz likes this.
  5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Intel<R> 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

So it is as I thought my network is waking my pc up, this I believe was the same for my mini ITX pc but I wasn't experiencing this before I reinstalled my main pc.

I've even turned off lan wake event in windows but it still did it again last night.

It has been doing it less since I installed the drivers for my G510 keyboard.

How is my network bringing my pc out of sleep? Is something or someone polling it or something?

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

When you disabled lan wake event in windows, was this in the power management setting of the network card.

[​IMG]

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Aha, turned those off, many thanks will see what happens :)

8. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

Need to turn off Wake on LAN, can also go into Ethernet properties on the driver and disable it there. Wake on magic packets etc.

9. fireintheit

fireintheit What's a Dremel?

I am not sure what version of windows you have. But you could try going to
    start->control panel->system security->power options->Select a power plan
    ->Change plan settings->Advanced settings.
    In Advanced settings you can configure the sleep. I don't think anybodies hacked you it could be that the sleep just got reconfigured.

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Check if bios has a wake on lan function as well, Intel boards have it for remote maintenance

11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Soz forgot to update this.

It's now staying asleep properly but it's still pausing for a while when I bring it back out of sleep and I have to click on my name to login which I never had to do before.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

IDK if the pausing thing is normal but i get the same, I just put it down to taking a few seconds for some hardware to come out of sleep.

The clicking on the name thing is because "Require a password on wakeup" is set to yes in the power options.

13. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I did not know about that, I can see it coming in handy, cheers.

14. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

The 3 biggest things I find keep PC awake are 1, mice are too sensitive, or are sending polling requests for no reason... so disable wake on those and make sure USB is set to select suspend.
    2, if you have more than one computer on network that pesky srvnet will keep things awake, and wake up machines that should be asleep all the time so you can enter

powercfg /requestsoverride driver \FileSystem\srvnet system

in elevated cmd to resolve that one.

3, not having all the correct drivers installed for hardware. I often see too many people running with the generic Microsoft device drivers. Just because there is no yellow ! in device manager doesn't mean all is well.

First step for me on sleep issues is to run
    powercfg - energy
    which generates a nice report and outlines any issues, which generally tend to be srvnet or driver problem not allowing device to enter sleep.
    On my server at least, I like to have magic packets on so I can wake it up to get at files and such. When it's not being actively accessed I want it to sleep so it's not running up my electric for no reason. Using lightsout software also helps a bunch since it seems to fix a lot of sleep issues that for whatever reason Microsoft has been unable or uninterested in resolving. It was originally intended for servers, but they have desktop client version for Windows 7/8 also.