1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding What soldering iron to get?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Asazman, 17 May 2004.

1. Asazman

Asazman What's a Dremel?

I have a crappy soldering iron from radioshack that simply doesn't work well. It only melts the solder at one place on the point (i've tried to change the tip it doesn't change anything). Anyway I am starting a rather large electronics project and I need a good one...can you guys recommend a decently-priced soldering iron that gets the job done pretty well? Thanks everyone!

::EDIT:: how about this one at allelectronics? looks pretty good....http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=IR-230&type=store

2. czechmodder

czechmodder What's a Dremel?

3. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

I heard it was good too...

4. fuzzygoblin

fuzzygoblin What's a Dremel?

definatly the most expensive you can find, :D it generally means its good :p

5. Jedi

Jedi What's a Dremel?

6. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

7. byteman

byteman What's a Dremel?

I like very much the JBC soldering irons, they have a nice range of tools.
    You can take a look at www.jbctools.com

I have two irons with diferent powers, i like them very much
    :thumb:

8. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

I wouldn't recommend you to get that. at 800 Fahrenheit in less than one second (which i highly doubt) it will be impossible to work with. You'll fry IC's and sensitive components instantly, start to melt tracks off cheaper boards, burn off flux way too quick, etc.

If you're serious about soldering you need a variable iron with a good selection of tips. About £40/£50 should get you set up properly.

Last edited: 17 May 2004
  9. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

if you actually look at how the cold heat iorn works you will see it is posible. it works abit like a small arc welder. (has a tip thats spit in 2 and when it makes contact with a metalic object it shorts out. and causes heat. this heat sometimes causes a spark to form.

so in theory you cna solder delicate ICs with it if you keep dabbing it rather than continually hold it to the joint.

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

my 18w iron from Maplin is more than enough for my needs, I use it for volt modding motherboards.