1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Waterproof footwear recommendations pls

Discussion in 'General' started by Porkins' Wingman, 11 Sep 2015.

1. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I have a dog so am contractually obliged to go out all weathers.

I don't like wet feet/socks. I don't like how shoes smell when they've got wet and not dried quickly. I require waterproof footwear.

I am fussy about aesthetics.

My previous solution was the Salomon Quest 4D GTX boot. They were about £120 (and still are). They were waterproof, comfy, light (for a boot) and they looked quite sporty, which is my kinda vibe. I liked them, and would get them again apart from the fact they fell apart faster than I would hope for a >£100 boot, and general web surfing suggests this is a common complaint with these boots, so I'm reluctant to drop that much again for questionable durability.

So can anyone do any better?

Walking boots or running trainers preferred. But I am not a hardcore hiker/climber so don't need some Everest-worthy answer.

2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

My everyday boots are Meindl Vakuum GTX after having the same issues with my Salomons!
    [​IMG]

They've been worn almost everyday for 12 months and are still in decent shape and keeping water out! The only downside is they are pricey but imo worth every penny.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

This will offend your aesthetic tastes.

Dunlop black synthetic leather safety boots, available from Sports Direct, give them a good waxing and pair them with some Sealskinz socks.

Prepare to be dry, warm and comfy all winter, the Sealskinz are your emergency defense against putting your foot in a boot swallowing puddle.

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

My everyday boots are the Brasher Hillmaster II GTX although I'm sure you can find them cheaper. They're extremely comfortable from new, feel relatively light on the feet and after roughly 1000 miles (over 3 years) the soles and heels have worn a bit but the uppers still look like new.

When these eventually wear out I'll be getting another pair.

Edit: I need to point out that they can be 'slippy' on some hard surfaces but so have some other pairs of boots I've owned.

Last edited: 11 Sep 2015
  5. Porkins' Wingman

Those Meindls look nice but I'm not up for the price tag. One of the complicating factors is my dog likes me to play football with him using a tennis ball. This exposes my footwear to almost daily (if not more) impact with a wet/dirty ball, so it's tough keeping them looking good anyway, so it would feel daft putting £175 boots through that punishment.

I have looked at the Hillmasters, and was about to jump in last night after your recommendation, Big Elf, but there's a lot of negativity about the quality of them taking a nosedive in the last couple of years, possibly since you bought your current pair. They are a 'hmmm' option at the moment.

6. rma

rma Minimodder

With two labradors, I've been searching for the ideal dog-walking footwear for years.

I've bought cheap - £15 boots from a fishing shop.
    I've bought expensive - £150 waterproof (unless it rains) from Blacks.

Nothing lasts :(
    Nothing stays waterproof :(

I'm currently on a pair of waterproof Dunlop boots...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LZKOHDK

Had them for 6 weeks and all good so far but they haven't really been tested by the weather, yet.

7. rma

rma Minimodder

Are those the same Dunlop boots that I've linked?
    If so, what are you treating them with?
    And how long have you been using them... if they really do last, I'm tempted to stock up on some spares!

I googled Sealskinz... £35 for a pair of socks!!!!

8. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Sealskinz will make your feet stink, if you proper rock solid waterproof boots get boots that the army uses,

9. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

We used to make our own waterproof socks, by putting on |thin sock|condom|thin sock| sandwich, not perfect by any means but they've kept my feet dry in a push.

10. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

Sealskinz are insanely good. I can happily trudge through a mile of water (I explore mines, which are frequently wet), and my feet are are comfy as I could ever like. Well worth the money, and you can bung them in the wash as you would with anything else.

11. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've just read some of the more recent reviews of the Hillmasters and must say I'm disappointed. I bought mine from a local shop in September 2012 and they were discounted as they were old stock so possibly manufactured the previous year.

It looks like I'll be looking for a different manufacture when I come to eventually replace mine although hopefully that'll be years ahead providing I can get them resoled and heeled when required.

12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

No it's these: http://www.sportsdirect.com/dunlop-dakota-mens-safety-boots-181038

I've got 3 pairs, one 'nice' pair that is kept polished and official looking.
    One pair of sh##kickers that are not looked after at all and a spare set.

Two years in October for both sets, holding up well enough and for the £20-ish they were each I won't be upset if a pair fails or wears out.

Grangers Paste Wax for water proofing.

The Sealskinz are about £15, if you pay £35 for a set you've been mugged. You only need them in the deadest dead of winter.

13. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

I've used a pair of Asics Gel Trail Lahar GTX for the past 2 Years, massively durable but hard to come by in my size (9.5) and now finally losing their waterproofing so time for something new and am considering Salomon X-over GTX as a replacement.

14. rma

rma Minimodder

Thanks for that!
    £18 and available in 13 - sold :)

15. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Something like these caterpillars for fair to middling weather use and a pair of wellies with decent grip when it's worse.

16. Porkins' Wingman

I know you've been clamouring for an update on this one and I don't want to disappoint.

I'm afraid I couldn't entertain the idea of those Dunlops, but I have gone cheaper than originally planned - as rma put it, nothing lasts...

I've gone for some mids this time round, cos wearing those 4Gs all-day at work or driving did see a bit of rubbing.

The winner was the Berghaus Expeditor AQ Trek in grey. Pretty dull and unremarkable to look at, but with 'Free Returns' I'll give them a go.

I'll see you all back here when they turn out to be ****ing ugly, or when I'm going ****ing ballistic cos they've developed a leak 1 day outside of warranty.

Thanks all.

17. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Wax them and use Snoseal. That's my regimen, along with wool compression socks. CVI is a bitch, but these socks are amazing. I use Merrell mids, don't like them but they were exoskeleton compatible.

18. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I use a Berghaus Pro Rush Mid GTX when I'm camping and have to take the dog out in bad weathers. Never let me down yet, though you probably can't get them now as I think they were being sold off when I got them maybe 4 yr ago.