1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

-bigbeta

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by One_Box, 10 Nov 2011.

1. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

I know bigadv is off the menu at least in the short term but is anyone getting bigbeta WUs at the moment?

I'm thinking of upgrading one of my 2600K rigs to SB-E (in order to run bigbeta) but don't want to commit to further expenditure until PG's intentions are clear.

Anyone else thinking along similar lines?

2. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Any 6 core Ivy Bridge on the horizon? As that's what I will do if I can.

SB-E just looks scarily expensive for just a folding rig (for me anyway).

3. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

I'm just hoping the BigAdv come on back soon. I dislike it then they do this.. A lot of Folders build machines for exclusive F@H use, when they pull the carpet out from under these machines they quickly become redundant. My PPD have halved and is still falling..

J.

4. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I don't know if you are aware, but an upgrade to SB-E will need a new motherboard, but IB (in a few months) will only need a BIOS update. I don't know at the moment how IB will compare to SB-E in terrms of performance, but assume (as the E in SB-E stands or Extreme) that SB-E will (at least initially) give more of a performance boost, if it's in your budget.

5. One_Box

I've already updated the bios in each of my 3 SB rigs for Ivy Bridge, but I would like a 12 thread CPU for bigbeta. I know it won't be a cheap option as I will need a X79 based mobo as well as some more memory in addition to the CPU. I may curb my impatience until after Christmas and see how the dust settles but I would like to know if anyone is still getting -bigbeta at the moment.

6. One_Box

It's very frustrating Joe and I agree with your comments. I can't see many people investing in dedicated folding rigs if PG are going to pull the plug on -bigadv.

7. jondi_hanluc

jondi_hanluc Retired Folder

I'm sure you're aware of this, i think I can remember you briefly mentioning it, but anyway, performance wise overclocked sandybridges can make the deadlines for the super big-advs (6903/4). There's a Ubuntu guide here on how to trick the server into giving them to you.

8. big-bert

big-bert What's a Dremel?

I've also held back on another 2600k build for the SB-E, wanting to try 12 core build for dedicated folding rig. But i have been seeing the same thing on the net regarding less bigadv. I hope this will change by the time SB-E arrives. I've recently put my 2600k back in folding and a bit happy anyway that at least receiving 6099 which gives out around 30k ppd in windows with 2600k at 4.6Ghz.