1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V 7.1/5.1 surround sound headset without usb?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by improprietary, 27 May 2011.

1. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

o hai!
    I've been scouring the world wide web like a pirate with a chip on his shoulder for a surround sound headset that does not use usb and actually have jack's for front, back, center.

Am i completely bonkers to consider this to be a possiblity and that virtual surround sound is the way to go or is it possible to actually not have to hack together a pair of headphones?

If this have been asked before in these forums, my apologies.

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I've found that Dobly-Headphone, set to the "Lively Envrioment" mode, in combination with the 7.1 Speaker shifter on my Soundcard can produce remarkable positional sound, then again, it is £110 of audio kit right there.

5.1 headphones are apparently really dodgy, however, either sounding Awful in music/Films, or Awful in gaming, depending on the make.

Only ones I know off the top of my head are a Zalman set, if I remember correctly, so if you want to take the plunge: At least tell us how they sound, whichever ones you get.

EDIT: Okay, after some digging, and extensive swearing at the tiny range, I found a set that apparently are gods testicles. And they' better be for the price: http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5136&idCategory=317

It seems to be a hybrid design, taking actual 5.1 input (Through 3.5mm jacks), then using USB to power the Amp/Configure the Amp. So it might provide the features you're looking for.

Last edited: 27 May 2011
    Zero_UK likes this.
  3. Strudul

Strudul ~

Sharkoon X-TATIC v3.

They are 5.1 and IMO great for gaming and not too bad for music.

They come with an amp, and you can plug them in by usb or optical or "jack's for front, back, center" e.t.c

They also work with xbox 360 (and ps3 I think).

(Sharkoon is the same as Tritton I believe. Just a rebrand for different countries.)

4. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Roccat kave. Actual jacks as you mention plus a usb to power the inline remote only. I've had one for about 6 months now and love it. Even bought 3 sets of splitters so I could have my 5.1 speakers and the headset plumbed in at the same time. Just turn on the speakers when the wife and kids are out for non headset sound.

5. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?