1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Arclight

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tobyak, 24 Feb 2012.

1. tobyak

tobyak What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Behold my latest creation to be

Project Arclight will be a huge case built on an Enermax Fulmo GT chassis with some serious power behind it also provided by Enermax in the shape of the mighty Platimax 1200watt psu

Te Arclight will be an all acrylic outer shell with a double action doors and servo actuated fan intakes that will open and close based on fan speeds, the shell will have a double tone look with layered panels of black and flourescent blue to accent every edge even the 100s of vent parts will have glowing edges, the interior will be a partitioned system very much like the custom partition for my other project "Sulaco" but with far more refinement

Much of the details i would like to keep slightly underwraps untill I post them for that extra mystery, heres a little peek at the exterior

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

several sponsors are already assisting me on this build and there help is as ever massively appreciated i simply would not be able to do this without them

Acrylic and solvent supplied by Hindleys. These guys are amazing, catering for 100s of different types of materials from plastic to metal and everything in between. And allays happy to answer even the craziest of questions a modder like me can ask

Massive thanks to Enermax for supplying a Fulmo GT, Platimax 1200wall and a vast array of case fans from there amazing Vegas range

Thanks also go to Bitfenix for givign me so much on my last project that i have enough spare to add to Arclight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for a lot more to come........

Last edited: 3 Nov 2012
  2. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Its always nice to get stuff for free :)

3. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

looks like it's going to be crazy acrylic time! =)

4. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Nice design. Looks very sharp.

5. tobyak

tobyak What's a Dremel?

IT is going to be a pretty hard build, over 100 parts on the intakes and i need to add all the pull rods and actuators

6. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Nice one ! Subbed for sure !

7. tobyak

tobyak What's a Dremel?

WoW a lot of time has passed since i was last able to get on this project, such a busy year

Well that was then this is now, and its all go from here, hew hardware, new materials, new tools

Arclight was origionialy designed for the Enermax fulmo GT a huge and brillicnt case, but time has marched on and Azza have offered me the chance to use there superb Genesis 9000, so a little redesigning was called for,

Concepts for the intakes have been redesigned to better fit the new chassis and all the electronics have been brouht in and in some cases teaching myself arduino voodoo

Heres the first batch of parts going in to the chassis

the origional blade design and array have changed slightly from this
    [​IMG]

to this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The array control mechanism of a pull rod attached to a servo will remain much thesame as the origional

Some parts will need to be scrapped or completely changed to fit the new body shell such as the origional concept for the sides [​IMG]

the new version will be a wait and see but they look great in the planning

Well this project will need a huge number of mechanical and electronic parts in top of your typical PC set up

This arduiuno kit courtesy of Phenoptix is a great start to the project and will be controlling several of my lighting systems including a rather clever hack of a LOL shield
    [​IMG]

LOL shields and old school bar graphs will be making quite an appearance as accenting lights, and yes there will be larson scanners
    [​IMG]

Servos and actuators will be making a big appearance including several mechanized fan intakes and a large front panel "shield"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And to wrap up this update and REBOOT, Kingston have graciously given there support and provided some of there swesome products

the amazing HyperX 120gig SSD
    [​IMG]

and a quad kit of DDR3 2400MHZ RAM
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned

8. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

I simply don't understand why I hadn't subscribed to this project log already.

Oh well - error corrected!

9. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

exciting! I'm going to be using micro controllers and similar gear in a build I'm working on designing still. I'm stoked to see what you come up with!

10. tobyak

tobyak What's a Dremel?

Cheers dude. what kind of gear will you be using? the servos in this will be run by a Pololu 6 channel controller controlled via usb wen set to manual and by its on board processor when on auto, i am powering it with a modified molex rigged to only run on the 5v wire (more amps then USB)

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1350 a lot cheaper then using an arduino shield and can control 6 rather then 1

11. tobyak

tobyak What's a Dremel?

Just a little update today

An absolute ton of cutting and sanding today

Well i dont have access to a lazer and i need a lot or duplicate pieces to were rocking it old school with a stencil
    [​IMG]

And what better to cut out my many many parts than a home made table saw, complete with mitre fence
    [​IMG]

Problem.... no sharpie..... solution... stick paper to plactic cover on acrylic and use engineering pencil... copy template.... move.... repeat.... over, and over
    [​IMG]

and now its on to cutting

first up divide the sheet up in to manageable blocks
    [​IMG]

then drill holes for turning the cutting blade in
    [​IMG]

some more cutting to further separate each component
    [​IMG]

first half done, all rough cut
    [​IMG]

bit of refining the shapes to reduce sending
    [​IMG]

sanding time...... 1 of 24
    [​IMG]

and yes that is a dyson taped to the extraction port

all done for the day, 24 pieces of the main intake array rough cut and rough sanded
    [​IMG]

i may never want to see acrylic AGAIN after this build....

12. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Thats alot of cutting...

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Awesome concept.:D
    -Personally, I wouldn't shape the parts too accurately until you get the layers glued together. That would make 3X less sanding and shaping.

14. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

I say that all the time....

Good work so far Toby!

15. sixfootsideburns

nice man, sounds like your a lot futher into planning than I am :hehe: I'm thinking I will probably use a Pic controller because I have an extra kicking around my house somewhere. My needs for the motor are pretty simple though, and I might end up going with a different solution. This is for linear movement not rotary, so slides, springs and dampers might end up being the better way in my case.

Looks like your making some awesome progress though man, keep the updates coming!

16. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

One of these days, they'll make a Sketchup mod that models the lighting too.

Subscribed. Mod on my friend.

17. sixfootsideburns

Well thats what rendering software is for isn't it? Or maybe I don't understand what your getting at

18. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

You can get Sketchup to show the light and shadows cast by various light sources and how they interact with your modeled parts?

19. tobyak

tobyak What's a Dremel?

damn, ive not been getting my updates on replies so sorry for late get backs

@Cheapskate Well ahead of you dude, spotted that early so i broke out the WW2 era Russian glass syringe and the dichloromethane. results in next update ile have up over the weekend

@Kylevdm this is just one grill..... 3 more smaller fiddely ones to go

@sixfootsideburns i know a great UK online store to get actuators, the stripped down motor with threaded shaft versions, there not pretty or refined but they are dirt cheap and have enough power for PC use

@monkeyfun learn solidworks ya bum

next update over the weekend, keep em peeled, and Kyle/Cheapskate ile see you on the podcast

20. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Great idea on the slats! hope you dont mind if i steal that idea for the plans on my first build, if i can get my ass lit on fire and get a job.