1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Best Budget NAS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Houndofhell, 13 Oct 2014.

1. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

Hi Guys,

So I'm after a NAS system, I've never bought one before so figured I'd see what you guys recommend.

Ideally it should have removable drives so that bigger disks can be placed in at a later date. It needs to be able to stream around the house and access to files from outside, similar to WD My Cloud

Preferably it's a well known brand so that half the functionality doesn't disappear if the company liquidates.

Starting storage of around 4TB and preferably the NAS should be cheap as possible.

Cheers

2. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I would check out the Synology range. Make sure you get a 2 bay model, as the one bay models limit your maximum capacity.

3. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Asustor is the best bang per buck. get an 202TE or similar, you get HDMI out for XBMC on your TV without the need for a PC. they have 4 CCTV licenses rather than 1 on sinology and 2 on qnap and are priced similar to those brands. Asustor is an Asus company FYI :)

4. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

5. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I got a Netgear Readnas 104, 4 bay nas, from Amazon for under £120 a couple of months ago, looks like the price went up to £150 though. The main issue with it is configuration is really fiddly if you do not like the way it is stock configured, in particular I did not like the way Windows computers automatically created a share on the nas. Once it was configured it is fine, WAN access is possible.