1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress case from alu and perspex, FINISHED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by rambo, 10 Apr 2008.

1. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

Hello, this a drawing of what my new case is going to look like. It is build of perspex 6mm plates and square 12mm alu bars that will be black anodised when finished look picture, the hole strukture is set togheter with 8 m3x16 countersunk hexagon socket head screws. There wil be a picture with al the holes for fans and stuf pretty soon.

On the botom halve of the case, i ame going to place my 240mm radiator and the waterpump with my powersuply, on the top halve of the case is going to be the motherboard and the cddrive, hdd.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    you can see the hole and pensel construction on the last picture.

see you next time, julian

p.s. thanks to a colleague of me for making the drawings.

Last edited: 14 Aug 2009
  2. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

small update

hey i orderd my perspex and the cut it on size for me :D and i orderd my alu square 12 bars ad work. so hopefully i can begin real soon. i ame also going to make the rear of the pc case my self the IO shealt kind of thing, so far I milled the inside side. I done it on a kunzman milling machine. and i made it from alu ACP it is tension free and lovely to work with.
    [​IMG]

here ar the pictures of how it looks now.
    before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

see ya, julian

3. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

I like your one screw corner design. Interesting way of making the rear I/O panel. I'd say that's a lot of wasted alu.

Keep it up though! :thumb:

NZmm

4. toy_soldier

toy_soldier modder

Hi,
    Looks nice! I am waiting for your new pictures:cooldude:
    by the way its Ravi here.

5. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

update: I/O pannel finished

hey thanks for the reply's, and yes it is a waste alu but it is now finished and looks good so after all it wassend a waste off alu :D, here and there are a few mistakes in it but it is still usefull for a I/O panel (i milled it on my work in my lunche brakes :lol: . I got my perspex in the house dident take a picture from it when it was unwraped (sorry for that) but i ame going to drill some holes in it next week so hopfully it is done in 2 days work i ame going to take 2 days off and work for my owne project on my work, so i have more time and hopefully dont make a mistake.

I used 7 M4x8 black steel countersunk hexagon socket head with a delrin topcap instead of m3: see picture. For moost of the sharp eges from the I/O panel I used a big vibrating bowl full of keramic rocks that removes the sharp eges by turning and twisting the things you put in it.: see picture.

so here are some pictures:
    the m4 screw with a delrin cap next to it.
    [​IMG]

here you can see all the screw with a cap on it.

[​IMG]

here you can see (the back side of the pc) side from the I/O pannel.
    [​IMG]

and the other side.
    [​IMG]

same side with screw in it.
    [​IMG]

the vibrating bowl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and my perspex plates cut on length that i bought on the internet.
    [​IMG]

see you hopefully next week with a update from the perspex plates.

p.s. I orderd an dell 2408 monitor

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Very nice mod, good luck!

What is that vibrating bowl???

From what ebay-shop did you buy those panels?

7. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

My guess would be www.bouwplastics.nl , I recognise the packing tape :hehe:

8. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

It is a large machine used to take the burrs and sharp edges off of machined parts. It is filled with abraisive stones (different ones for different applications/materials) and liquid and then shook of vibrated for a period of time to remove the material.

9. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

hey, thanks for your reply's. Yes i orderd it on www.bouwplastics.nl and i ame very happy with it. the quality of the perspex is realy good the difference in thickness is only 0.07mm over a plate that is about 200mm X 420mm and the lenght of the plate is about 0.3mm shorter or longer so that is realy nice. and the vibrating bowl is indead a thing what removes the sharp edges by vibrating in a sort of way that the parts in the bowl go round and round in the bowl it moostly take about 1 a 2 hours for a nice look but it can do shifts from 1 min to over 60 hours by turning on a timer so it stops wen it is ready, it is realy nice because you put the things in start the machine and walk away. :D

see you, julian

10. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

hey i have been very busy milling the perspex plates and here are the results:
    In the 1e picture you can see the plates before milling.
    I milled the 115mm holes that i ame going to use for a 120mm fan with a special tool that cuts a round circel with 1 cutter, see picture 2/3.
    For the front and the back plate i used a 10mm mill and a square file for the corners see picture's, 4/5.
    In picture 6 are the plates after the milling process.
    The rest are detail pictures see text above pictures.

1) the perspex befor milling.
    [​IMG]
    2) way of milling 115mm hole.
    [​IMG]
    3) result.
    [​IMG]
    4) before using a file.
    [​IMG]
    5) after using a file.
    [​IMG]
    6) the plates after milling.
    [​IMG]
    bottem front, room for 1x 120mm fan.
    [​IMG]
    top front, room for 2x cd drives and 1x 120mm fan.
    [​IMG]
    the bottem side where the radiator is going to be placed, room for 2x 120mm fan.
    [​IMG]
    rear bottem where the power suply is going to be.
    [​IMG]
    rear top, room for the I/O sheald and 1x 120mm fan.
    [​IMG]
    rear plate with self build I/O sheald in place, 1e is inside and 2e is outside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is brasso it is a metal polish but it works fine on perspex i ame going to use it this week so there will be pictures soon.
    [​IMG]

my new monitor is in: dell 2408
    [​IMG]

I hope you liked it, see you next time.

11. -Nick-

-Nick- What's a Dremel?

look good man, have to ask is that one big mouse mat you have under you keyboard and mouse? if so what is it and where you get it?

12. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

hey thanks yeh it is 1 big mouse mat and it is from corepad and it is the XXXL version but the shop I bought it from dont sell them enymore but here is the link directly to the site:
    corepad XXXL

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

dam thats is one tool i wish my uni would, (vibrating bowl). My friend works at a big aircraft engine referb company they have multiple grades of cone in different machines. so a Ti fan blade can be cleaned up and near to polished, so he stuck his alloy wheels in the machines one saturday morning, when in bashed up came out shiney and new!

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I love The frame design. My only complaint would be the design is TOO clean. You have a lot of cool equipment with infinite capabilities. You should add some kind of decorative element.

15. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Great work on the panals, I can't wait to see the frame built.

16. DoOb's

DoOb's Overclocker/Modder

Lamb of God Cheesecake, lovely screen, and great work so far....

Its amazing that that exact Brasso we get here in South Africa

17. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

hey thanks for the complaint because that is just the thing I want to have a clean looking case without to mutch equipment, just a cool and smooth disigne that is why I thought the 1 bolt corner construction :D. And i just wait for my alu to be diliverd because the normal company were we order alu dont sell square 12 anymore :duh: so my work orderd it somewere else, update of that ASAP :rock:.

thanks for the reply's, julian

18. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

Hello finally I got an update again because I needed to wait for the alu ribes so I can start the milling proces and that has taken longer than I thought. But he, it is finished:D.
    The perspex that I milled was pritty stressed, see picture 1 (stressed perspex can crack in time). On my work we have a special light to see hot spots in the perspex, normaly it needs to be 1 color but as you can see there are a few bright lights in the corners. To remove most of the stress you simply need to put it in the oven for a while (6mm thick 80*C for like 8 hours) and you can see in picture 2 that the hot spots are not so bright any more.
    The alu bars fit togehter pritty good see pictures, I sended it to the anodiser so he can make it black for me :p. This was the work I have done so far.

the stresed perspex:

[​IMG]

the not so stresed anymore perspex:
    [​IMG]

alu ribes cut on length 3mm longer than it is going to be in the end so I can mill it smooth:

[​IMG]

alu ribes milled:
    [​IMG]

corner not togheter:

[​IMG]

corner togheter inside view:
    [​IMG]

outside view:
    [​IMG]

the bars that come hanging in the middel of the case:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and finely the case without perspex:
    [​IMG]

here you can see the pensil and hole corner peases:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope you like it see ya next time, julian :dremel:

Last edited: 31 May 2008
  19. yeknom

yeknom What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: That looks pretty heavy with the solid alu bar :lol:

20. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

wow man thats an interesting way to connect the alu pieces to each other! Anodized you say, that will be sweet!