1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU CPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by danielmartind, 28 Aug 2015.

1. danielmartind

danielmartind What's a Dremel?

I have a PC a built a few years ago using a Core I3 530. Is it worth upgrading to a higher spec I5/I7 CPU from that generation?

Just for info, I am using on-board graphics but will probably add in something like a GTX 960. I already have an SSD and there is 8GB RAM. The PC will be used for development, occasional gaming , basic photo/video editing and general family use. I don't have any specific performance issues, I was just wondering as they are going pretty cheap and it is starting to get used more often and for more tasks than it has been in the past.

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Absolutely worth it if you are doing video editing and such. The i7 would cut your render times in half at least.

3. danielmartind

danielmartind What's a Dremel?

Thinking about it, don't the I7 use triple channel memory? I might be better sticking with I5.

4. silk186

silk186 Derp

think about it. Does your board support triple channel memory. Do you really think they made boards for 13/15 and other boards just for i7. Triple channel was for the X58 platform. Get an i5 or i7 and OC.

5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Best chip for value for the socket that you have (1156) is a i5 750.

They are about £30 2nd hand.