1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling External Radiator on an RV02

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by .//TuNdRa, 11 Jan 2012.

1. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I've been thinking about this for a while, if only to make the inside of my PC neater and mean I can sustain a much higher overclock. The issue I have isn't about the placement of the radiator or what fans, it's simply about the tubing.

If I use an external radiator; I've got two choices. One; I can take the tubes out of the bottom of the case, through a sharp 90 degree angle, then out towards the rad, which I'd probably need a couple of 90 degree fittings for to prevent kinking, or Two: I'd need a PCI backplate to run the hoses through instead. I'd rather not go cutting holes in the case to fit bulkheads or anything like that, of the two; which makes more sense?

I am planning use of Quick Disconnects on the rad or the tubing between the rad and the PC to ensure that should I need to move my rig; I can actually do so without having to drain the loop first.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Do it then :)

3. .//TuNdRa

Not exactly the answer I was looking for, Pook.

Which would be easier; Out through the top, or out through the bottom? (Tl : DR version)

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Why not use some bulkheaads with 90 degree fittings, as then its not the tube bending. And as for Q-disconnects look at the Koolance ones, as they're high flow ones :)

The only benefit to going out the bottom is it'll be easier on the pump...

5. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Why not stick a 360 in the bottom? http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2011/03/scan-3xs-scorpion-x-pc-review/scanscorpion-4b.jpg

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

7. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Ah Yeah blast and I've just realised the drive cages aren't removable like the FT02

8. .//TuNdRa

My intention is to have the pump, res and Rad all in a bundle, so that the only parts inside of the case are the heatblocks and a little cabling. (Saw someone else pull this trick with one of the EK kits, it really rather appealed to me.)

The windowledge I'm going to be bolting stuff to sits four inches above the top of the raven RV02, anyway, so it's simply a question of which is easier? The RV02 only has about an inch of ground clearance, so I'm leaning towards the top for simplicity purposes. The tubing is 3/8", if it makes any difference. I'm just wondering if it'll actually fit through a PCI backplate.

Either way; It's going to be a bit of a bugger, I'm just loathe to go out the bottom through the grommets because of the room. If it works out as the better idea, however; I will.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2012
  9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I used to feed 3/8" ID 1/2" OD tubing through the PCI plates, when I had a rad externally mounted to a P182. Just run your finger along them and make sure there aren't any sharp edges.

BTW the Koolance quick connectors are great. I have a couple on my reservoir, and I'm seriously considering getting some more.

10. .//TuNdRa

That's a relief then. I've already dug out a set of Koolance QD connectors on the SpecialTech site, I may simply dremel some holes in the Xonar's backplate to run the hoses through, as there is all that extra backplate not being used on it.

So for a quick appraisal: Is this basket okay? (Missing the MB waterblocks, but Specialtech doesn't have those, sadly.) So far as I can see: It will all work with one-another, and i've ensured the tubing matches and the like.

[​IMG]

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I believe you don't need a silver coil and that fluid... And that pump may struggle with a loop of that size...

12. .//TuNdRa

True, but that then means going to a D5 pump, those are reputedly very hot running from what I've managed to find of them, even if they are very powerful pumps.

Plus if I start changing out the parts in the EK kit; I'll wind up driving the cost up dramatically. I'll have to sit down and work out if the pump is capable of managing the load.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The biggest thing it'll struggle with is getting upto the highest point in the rad, as if you're mounting it vertically on your window it'll be 3-4ft above the lowest point in the loop.

14. .//TuNdRa

I intend to have the pump mounted level with the rad, anyway, along with the Res, from what I've seen of the EK kits; this is a more than possible setup with the existing parts.

Having the pump level should help it flow due to gravity. It would come down to the resistance of the waterblocks and Rad, would it not?

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What blocks are you using? As are you doing pump, CPU, MB, RAD, RES? The problem with that is you're flow rate will be very low I expect.

16. .//TuNdRa

I'll be using the default Supreme LT that comes with the kit, along with the EKWB GA AMD Kit, (May pick up the Nickel version, as its' slightly cheaper and would match with the processor sink.) Although only the VRM and Northbridge blocks. (Southbridge doesn't fit on my board, although it doesn't need any extra cooling anyway.)

And yes, in that order; CPU, VRMs, NB, Rad, Res, Pump.

I'd dig out the links from EK's site, but it appears to be down for the minute. Or at least timing out on loading.]

From what I can find from other sources (As EKWB still refuses to load for me); The Pump is capable of 800L/h up to a height of 4M, would that not be sufficient?

17. Pookeyhead

If the case is on the floor and only a few inches below the radiator, I'd come out of the back via a card slot. With only an inch or so clearance, then if you have carpet there's the fact that a heavy case will sink into it over time and put pressure on something... I'd come out of the back via a pci e slot adaptor as high up as you can manage. Mount. The pump as high in the case too to give the pump an easier time.

18. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

The RV02 has a rotated mobo so the top is the back.

19. Pookeyhead

Bottom slot then... You know what I mean.. :). Top in relation to it's spatial positioning.

20. .//TuNdRa

At the moment the case is sat on a box level with the desk, so the lowest point in the loop, the NB, is about a foot below the bottom of the windowsill. So about Two - three feet below where the very top of the Rad would be, I could go out the bottom, but it's a case of room.