1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Epic's Thermal Tower - Need suggestions for the loop route, help me! 20.05.2012

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Djayness, 30 Jan 2012.

1. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Epic's Thermal Tower

[​IMG]
    Oh...that thing.

For the longest time after we sold the Carbide Series design to Lamptron I kind of twiddled my thumbs a bit. I used the design knowledge to create a mini case that LAN gamers could enjoy and all was well and good till the hordes of emails showed up demanding that we do a full sized build.

[​IMG]
    Pictured, a full size build.

[​IMG]
    So I did some designing, wow I did some designing. I'm the kind of unfortunate soul that gets in a "zone". Some days I spent almost 10 hours straight going through Autocad, making sure every little detail was correct. Like all good designers, I thought about the features I wanted in the case and a unique way to apply those features to the design in a way that made sense.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Flat packed, skinny, tall, enough room for 360mm radiators top and bottom. Inverted motherboard tray, push and pull configurations, case filters etc etc. All of these features were those of which had been fed back to us over the course of the past two years and the set of features above could be found in very few, if any, cases already on the market.

[​IMG]
    The biggest design challenge though was to create a case that could be flat packed and assembled, a whole new ball game for someone who has spent the past two years using weldon to bond cases together with the assistance of clamps. So without much further ado, welcome to my build log of a true prototype, one that you will actually be able to get your hands on in the very near future!

[​IMG]

Thanks to:
    Razer
    EKWB
    Fraglabs
    Asus
    Republic of Gamers

Last edited: 19 May 2012
  2. motorsportcfd

motorsportcfd What's a Dremel?

Looks like this will be a cool build! Excited to see more!

3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

4. cerbrus2

cerbrus2 What's a Dremel?

And my new case is..........................................

5. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

^ Really freaking expensive :p, Looks epic as always though. Get what you pay for.

6. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Actually since it's flat packed and assembled by the end user, not so exxy :)

Check it out, more soon!

7. cerbrus2

cerbrus2 What's a Dremel?

Rough estimate of the price. If thats possible.

8. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Including shipping to the UK from Aussieland? A buttload of money.

I still want one. Heck. I want most of what Epic churns out. It's all pretty damn amazing.

9. peteski

peteski long live the pc

:jawdrop: cant wait to see more :rock: :rock: :rock:

10. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

I'm trying to keep it around the 600AUD to 800AUD mark and that all depends on the hours logged or required by the CNC to cut the entire case. Some things still need to be hand assembled such as the motherboard IO and all the joining pieces and until I finish this case, I just won't know.

Thanks Tundra :) Shipping to the UK for full size cases that I had was around 200AUD + but since we are now flat packing, it should be much cheaper.

In around 10 hours I will have an update, I've actually run out of acrylic but can assemble the case quite a bit with what I have cut.

11. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Well hey, I'm back.

I ran out of acrylic but that hasn't stopped me from screwing together the pieces I did cut just so I could get a better idea of what the case looks like.

[​IMG]
    It's tall...

[​IMG]
    I haven't fully polished the pieces either and the great thing about the case is that I can do that without too much hassle. Just put the allen key into the holes the panels will come off quite nicely.

I did, admittedly spend around an hour polishing the bottom of the case for whatever reason (you'll never see the bottom anyhow -_-) and now I have decided that I would rather the bottom to be clear so that light can shine through it.

I was actually so caught up with this particular idea that I'm willing to cut another sheet of acrylic just to make it happen :D , this is my personal case so I wanted it to be perfect.

I got the weekend off work so you'll see more progress then and our good friends at Razer have prepped a surprise delivery for me :)

[​IMG]

Thanks to:
    Razer
    EKWB
    Fraglabs
    Asus
    Republic of Gamers

Last edited: 14 Feb 2012
    GaryP likes this.
  12. peteski

peteski long live the pc

man that is tall i like it :rock: :rock: :rock:

13. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

800mm tall hmmm need 2 can use as new desk pillars :p :D

14. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Wait, what's this now? Did I miss something?

15. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

16. Asouter

Asouter --------

Glad I didn't see this before I'd started my build.....Like it lots

17. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Very nice! That would swamp even my LD case - I have to remove a drawer from one of my desks to get that under, I would have to remove the whole desk to fit one of these in!

While so many people are looking for smaller and smaller computing options, so many modders are going big these days :)

18. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

The feedback we got initially was that for watercooling, fitting at least a 360 and a 240 was considered a bare minimum these days.

Luckily we've gone for a pull push 360mm radiator down bottom and a single 360mm radiator up top, plenty of airflow.

19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

20. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Thanks for the sub :D

Time for an update?

[​IMG]
    Completed the side panel and was one of the few times I did the engrave on the outside instead of the inside of the panel. I really like how it turned out.

[​IMG]
    Side panel on and I didn't quite like the legs I put on so I've decided to make that entire bottom area another layer of clear acrylic like a rim. This hopefully will light up, in theory...

Lets hope I'm right!

[​IMG]
    In the meantime I also dived into another sheet of clear acrylic for the bottom. Going for an awesome amount of blue light!

[​IMG]
    You can see how the bottom attaches with m4 screws. I can easily swap the bottom out later for another config, for example sake I could put a 280mm radiator and some pump mounting holes on there instead. It's a modular case!

I'm sure that was a painful tease but I'm working on designing that bottom bit and hopefully I'll come back with some progress on that tomorrow.

Until then!

[​IMG]

Thanks to:
    Razer
    EKWB
    Fraglabs
    Asus
    Republic of Gamers

Last edited: 14 Feb 2012