1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Metro Last light > something worrying...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Stanley Tweedle, 7 May 2013.

1. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I happened to see a video preview over at games pot with 2 guys (kiddies) going through a section of the Last Light game.

All of the previous vids I'd seen looked pretty good. This however appeared to be purely console focused. The control method was console and the big ugly dials that popped-up on screen were console focused. The game looked utterly dire with very wooden steering as you'd expect when using thumb-sticks.

You know... there's a f*cking reason I don't use my Saitek stick and throttle for games like Tomb Raider or Crysis 3, or Dishonored etc... it sucks! I am shocked they actually managed to make a good PC game look and feel like a pile of doggy poop.

I guess if it's gonna happen then games pot is the place for dumbing-down and consolification.

Let's hope they don't get any serious driving sim to review. No doubt they'd be using eggs box controller for that and with a stack of eggs boxes in the background while announcing "this is the pc version we're playing"

P. S.

I'm not really worried. I was just being melodramatic. If the developer wants to dumb the game down and make it a console one that's fine by me.

Last edited: 7 May 2013
  2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Actually I quite like using the Xbox controller for driving games (lets be honest, a steering wheel and pedals isn't practical for everyone).

Of course they have to dumb down the console version, but the PC version looks breathtaking so I'm not too worried.

3. Stanley Tweedle

I can see that advantage with eggs box controller. I have my wheel bolted to desk where keyboard used to be. Keyboard floats above desk along with monitor on extending arm.

Not convenient for many people though.

I still have some faith last light will be impressive but nevertheless they still managed to make it look like crap on that gamespot vid.

4. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

It's not a PC exclusive so I guess there are bound to be compromises. I don't really have a problem with multi-platform releases as long as they take some time to ensure that it is tweaked appropriately for each of the platforms. I draw the line at QTEs though - it had better not have any of these abominations to gaming!

The Xbox controller is something that Microsoft got very right - I have been using joysticks since they were just called 'potentiometers' and I have to say there is nothing that I can think of that matches the versatility, comfort and durability of the Xbox Controller. Of course nothing beats a proper flight-stick for flying or a wheel for driving, but as Parge said it's not always the easiest thing to use in your average PC setup. I wouldn't dream of playing Forza or Gran Tourismo 5 without the Xbox, or Logitech wheels, but I just can't find the space on my desk that the PC lives on!

I am deliberately steering clear of footage of Last Night - I was lucky enough to win a copy in one of TGS's great give-aways so I am saving myself for when it unlocks! One of those rare moments where I don't have to research a game - I can just let it take me by surprise!

5. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

you do realise that it takes more effort to type "eggs box" than "xbox"

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

What worries me about Metro LL is that "hardcore mode" is a f***ing pre-order bonus! Not cool, not cool at all.

7. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Wow - that's not good. What next? "Order Now for the ability to reload your gun on release".

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'm pretty hyped for it, I was so impressed with the first one.

As always I'm just going to wait and see, no point making judgements before it's out.

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Yes, he does. But he will do it anyway, it's an interesting affectation.

10. Stanley Tweedle

I've never actually tried an eggs box controller. I did think about buying one for an arcade shooter I got but never actually did. I bitch about consoles endlessly but I'm not averse to trying something new. All the previous vids I've seen of last light look amazing. It's just this one particular gamespot with the 2 numpties. You know what set me off... behind them was a stack of egg boxes and when they mentioned controller it pushed me over the edge.

eggbx

Some of these pre-orders for games are ridiculous.

We'll have a freemium premium where you get ammo and a choice of more than 1 weapon. In addition there will be a monthly fee of £10 which gives you access to online play.

11. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

[​IMG]

I has a sad.

12. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Sounds like you're being a bit PC-Elitist....

I have an 'eggs box' pad plugged in to my PC all the time and use it for everything that isn't an FPS. Even then, I've played BFBC2, MW3, Borderlands on console and not had a problem. Keyboard and Mouse is better for competitive play, but for storyline you'll do just fine on joypad.

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

But it's cool to hate on console peripherals, right? Riiight?

[​IMG]

14. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

The worst bit of this is that the phrase 'less bullets' in the pic annoys me more than the fact that the game mode is a pre-order bonus.

Gah! Fewer bullets. FEWER! It's a count noun, not a mass noun...

Right. Sorry about that. I've not even got anything to say OT.

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

This. Generally, I'm pleased to report that despite being a site full of PC gamers, console bashing doesn't go down very well around here. In my experience this is usually a sign of intelligent discussion where people can recognise that both consoles and PCs have their place and are suitable for different demographics, rooms in the house, and moods.

Ironically, if you do want a receptive audience for console bashing mayhem, Gamespot forums may well be your best bet. :thumb:

16. Stanley Tweedle

It is cool to bash consoles. I'm quite enjoying bashing the Wii although when it was first previewed at E3 I thought it was the best console. egbx has to be my all time favourite console to bash though. Never actually played on one but the times when I saw it running in currys the graphics looked abysmal (blocky) and that was going back when it was fairly new. I came close to buying a PS3 a couple of times because I liked some of the games it had. I actually owned PS1 back when it was new and a wheel and pedals for it. Sold it after 6 months.

Gamespot is a good place for console bickering but there are actually a hell of a lot of console gamers there so war is inevitabubble. Recently someone there said "shame this game is an FPS" (it was metro last light)...................

I think consoles for me will always be a source of entertainment. Not for playing but to make fun of.

I still think it's cool to see a liquid cooled egbx though.

17. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Im currently on chapter 4 of the first one! Started playing in Russian but had to stop I was getting tired reading subtitles ha. Its a total system cruncher though. The thought of the new one scares me!

Any tips for weapons? I upgraded my pistol with stock and scope. I have a feeling it was a good shout as im about to go through a Nazi and Russian warzone in the chapter! I was lucky enough to win off TGS as well and like Jedra said I have done no reading or trailers or anything on it. Will be finishing the first one then going onto it.

18. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I always use an xbox controller for Fifa. Imagine playing it with a keyboard... :lol:

19. Stanley Tweedle

I played about 3 hours into the first one and then got stuck. Later found solution but I have to resume playing and I will do that before I play Last Light. Metro looks stunning with 3d glasses but I can't run it maxed out in that mode with a single 680. Last Light will be even more demanding in stereoscopic 3d.

I can see that egbx controller must be good for some games. A few of the games I have recommend that control method.

20. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Also good if you want to play PC games on a big screen. You don't need some crazy desk combo to facilitate it. Console controllers have reasonable cord lengths so you don't end up daisy chaining loads of extenders.... unless they are BT