1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Boot sequence keeps changing

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by CrapBag, 21 Oct 2014.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

A little background.

My sons pc is running a 955be an MSI motherboard with 8gb ddr3, an MX100 256gb SSD and a 500gb HDD.

The HDD has his old install of win 7 but the SSD has a fresh install, I haven't gotten around to wiping the drive as it has a 2nd partition with all his stuff on it.

The problem is his pc keeps booting off the HDD and not the SSD, it has been fine for several months but 3 days ago it started doing this.

I thought meh it's just the Cmos battery that needs replacing so I changed it for a brand new duracell one that I had bought the week before but it's still doing it.

Can a virus affect things like boot order as it's very strange for it to keep doing it?

2. jebk

jebk What's a Dremel?

Are you definitely sure that the boot record is on the SSD? I don't if 7 is the same, but 8 has a habit of putting its boot record on the same disk as an old windows install even if you are installing it to a separate drive.

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Was the old HDD unplugged when the OS was reinstalled onto the SSD?
    If so, maybe having two MBRs is doing odd stuff?

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I did think I did unplug it but not 100% sure, I usually do, strange it's suddenly started happening after about 6 weeks though.